Survivor - 1974 BMW 2002 - Beautiful Once Again

TFTADetail

Reaction score
This 1974 BMW 2002 was brought to me by the original owner. Her only complaint with the car was that after washing the finish would dull and the water would stain the paint. (Before pics will show this).

I applied a 2 stage polishing using Menzerna products with Fusion applied as a final coat. The paint is fully restored. I don't really keep up with the product version numbers and such because I know what I like and I don't stop to think of what I am using.

I did use Menzerna products for the polishing process. CG Citrus Wash for the prep. I didn't use any clay because the paint was so heavily oxidized that it was pointless to even attempt.

The owner was obviously thrilled and said the car looked better than when it was first purchased. The interior only needed a thorough vacuuming as it was nearly pristine.

Time for entire project = 9 hours

Pic time .......

1974%20BMW%202002_zpsysovzkkl.jpg

IMG_1157_zpsbfzu2h9v.jpg

IMG_1174_zpsofuciinh.jpg

IMG_1177_zpsqnozgskx.jpg

IMG_1156_zpsl8cn3zyz.jpg

IMG_1171_zps2vkoxgxe.jpg

IMG_1182_zpsmjl7ml8e.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsdg6lcjzw.jpg

IMG_1181_zpsja3g8ijd.jpg

IMG_1182_zpsmjl7ml8e.jpg

IMG_1189_zpsdxq3lfcu.jpg

IMG_1190_zps17ljkvyw.jpg

IMG_1191_zpsg8jahe14.jpg

IMG_1198_zpshetcxz2u.jpg

That looks really good. Night and day difference

2002's are such beautiful looking car in their own unique way. Any more pictures?

That looks really good. Night and day difference

2002's are such beautiful looking car in their own unique way. Any more pictures?

Now I wish I had. Sun was starting to fade and the owner showed up just as I started taking pictures. Maybe I'll be able to take a few more during the maintenance details.

Thanks for your compliment!

Looks great, Love the color , but not a bmw fan. I could understand how confusing or hard it is for a person that is not really experienced with stuff like this Great job~!

Wow! Great job on the detail! Was the paint single stage?

Can't believe a 2002 is in such tip top condition like that. And original owner too! That car is a rare gem.

Great job. I've always liked those little cars (even if it is a bmw). :dblthumb2:

Looks great, Love the color , but not a bmw fan. I could understand how confusing or hard it is for a person that is not really experienced with stuff like this Great job~!

Thanks! I've owned BMWs over the years and some of the models are really nice & some not so much. I enjoy working on survivors ....... the Yugo is a no deal though. :laughing:

Nice!

What an improvement.

Thank you, sir

Wow! Great job on the detail! Was the paint single stage?

Can't believe a 2002 is in such tip top condition like that. And original owner too! That car is a rare gem.

Thanks! Yup, single stage. A few little dings, but no scratches to speak of. She's very particular about this car.

Great job. I've always liked those little cars (even if it is a bmw). :dblthumb2:

Now that's a great transformation! Excellent work!!!

Thanks Sizzle!

Very well done and it looks great!

Thank you!

Amazing! Well done!

Thanks. It's amazing how paint that old can still be made to look as it does. Quality paint for sure. :xyxthumbs:

Nice save.

Anytime someone posts a write-up for a classic car with single stage I always ask them to share their thoughts on what they think about working on single stage as compared to cars with basecoat/clearcoat paints.

Keep in mind, the majority of people in the world, on this forum, that detail cars and that will ever read your write-up will have never and will never buff out a car with neglected single stage paint that can be saved and brought back the way you brought this paint back from the dead.

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks Mike ....

My thoughts?

Mike, you and I have been at this "restoration/detailing" thing for a long time.

There are SO many different variables with single stage paint polishing .....

What year is the OEM/vintage paint?
What vehicle/manufacturer origin? (Domestic/Euro/Import)
Color?
Metallic? (Yes, I have dealt with paint jobs that were resprayed within a year or two of purchasing the vehicle new - early 60s)
What defects are we dealing with? (scratches)
Has the paint received sanding or polishing before?
What is the overall condition of said paint? (Fading/Burnt-Peeling?
What are the overall expectations of the customer?
What is the thickness of the existing paint?

One thing that I keep in mind when working with the any paint, but especially single stage paint; is that the top surfaces (bonnet/roof/deck lid) are likely to have more deterioration of the paint just because of the direct sunlight and the damage it can cause. This is really important to keep in mind when polishing the single stage. You'll go through whatever paint is left very quickly if not careful.

Something else you'll learn about working/polishing single stage paint is the fact that AFTER it's been polished; it's going to require more maintenance & upkeep (waxing/sealing) than a clear coat paint will.

I love the appearance of the single stage after it's properly polished. It's a nostalgia thing.

Clear coat is more practical.

When properly polished, both paint/spray types are rewarding in their own way!

Polish on!:dblthumb2:

Nice save.

Anytime someone posts a write-up for a classic car with single stage I always ask them to share their thoughts on what they think about working on single stage as compared to cars with basecoat/clearcoat paints.

Keep in mind, the majority of people in the world, on this forum, that detail cars and that will ever read your write-up will have never and will never buff out a car with neglected single stage paint that can be saved and brought back the way you brought this paint back from the dead.

:xyxthumbs:

So far 4 of the 6 cars I have polished have been old single stage paint.

I do see a good amount of color transferred no matter if I hand or machine polished and so far I have not hit any thin spots in the paint.

I do think it's easier to polish and wax clear coats from my limited experience and my single stage paints do cloud up if I don't constantly refresh the wax.

I restored a Bug and had it sprayed with a single stage paint in 2009 and so far I have only had to wax it.
It was never wet sanded either.
I do like the look of the single stage paint but feel I must be more careful with it.

This is the newly single stage painted Bug while it was in the LeMay Automotive museum. Spray Wax and Spray Detailer only, both from GG.
IMG-20140308-00388.jpg

I did figure out how to post a picture in a better format.

In the end everything came out very nice for you & a baby Bimmer, my question is: If you got more info about car's paint because to me it looks not original paint & shade, this paint is called either Turkiss Metallic or Turquoise Metallic while this is how Bimmer looks but it was repainted with different paint & not Metallic like Bimmer's got then. 1974 BMW All Models Colors of Touch Up Paint

Below is example of 1976 BMW 630 CSi Fjord Blue Metallic

watermark.php

Back