Swirls returning after paint correction

depotSTI

Reaction score
So about a month ago i did a full correction on my sti and it looked amazing. Since then ive just been maintaining with weekly washes and then wipe down with chemical guys quick detailer sealant spray. I was in the direct sun yesterday and noticed swirls/scratches had returned! See pic below, this honestly makes it look way worse than it is but is a good representation. What am i doing wrong maintaining?!

View attachment 39320

Looks like toweling marks to me. Which MF's are you using to wipe it down with?

Meguires cut compound and gtechniq seal.

View attachment 39321
After correction looking mint

View attachment 39322
After seal reflection was amazing

Due to my current living situation i bring the car to a touchless wash and get a wash and dry. I then drive the car back to my garage and blow down with the blowmaster to remove any remaining water. Then its chemical guys v07 on the entire car. I use mostly the exterior work horse micro fibers with a couple of the autozone specials mixed in...could that be causing it? Thanks for the help

from what I've read Subaru have soft paint....and those work horse towels also aren't very good quality, especially for drying....I think UR damaging it from a combination of those towels and the cars soft paint

IMO Washing and Drying is the most important technique to learn. I too, was in the same boat you were. IMO the less you touch your ride the better off. That being said I figured out what I was doing wrong and it was my drying technique. I no longer use a DRY MF Towel. I use a damp MF Towel to dry.

Try that and you will see and feel the difference. Since I changed my drying technique I have not experienced any swirls on my ride. And it is Black too!

Thanks.

My drying technique usually only involves forced air from the master blaster though. I am assuming i am doing something wrong as i apply the vo7?

Touchless wash and soft paint are a tricky combination.

Maybe you should coat it instead of seal it.

In what motion are you applying the v07? Circular, horizontal, vertical? Next time, apply in only vertical motion and if vertical marks appear, then good chance that is the culprit.

I've seen this before, during paint correction, it becomes very difficult to almost impossible to see, see problems. Product can fill, the tiny valleys, of defects thus masking/hiding the defect. I use after corrective action Menzerna final inspection, so as to remove, any product masking the defect.

Meguires cut compound and gtechniq seal.

View attachment 39321
After correction looking mint

View attachment 39322
After seal reflection was amazing

Due to my current living situation i bring the car to a touchless wash and get a wash and dry. I then drive the car back to my garage and blow down with the blowmaster to remove any remaining water. Then its chemical guys v07 on the entire car. I use mostly the exterior work horse micro fibers with a couple of the autozone specials mixed in...could that be causing it? Thanks for the help

Having owned 2 Sti's and working on a half dozen or so , they all have had soft paint IME. I've also seen and touched the work horse towels from CG, so I would bet that's what's causing the marring/swirling on your car. I'd suggest upgrading getting some nicer MF's for your paint and demote the workhorses to interior work.

Either the swirls were never actually removed and were only filled by the oils in your polish

Or

The "Touchless" guys are scratching the paint as they dry it with cheap/dirty towels

If it is only being cleaned by the touch less wash and not washed after with some form of agitation, you may not have a truly clean surface. Then when you apply your v07 you may be rubbing some unremoved dirt around on your paint.

Thanks.

My drying technique usually only involves forced air from the master blaster though. I am assuming i am doing something wrong as i apply the vo7?

Try applying it with a damp MF towel followed up with a dry one. Use the V07 on the damp MF towel and then lightly follow up with a dry MF Towel.

If there is ANY dust on the car I will not spray wax or QD I will do a rinseless wash instead.

Try applying it with a damp MF towel followed up with a dry one. Use the V07 on the damp MF towel and then lightly follow up with a dry MF Towel.

If there is ANY dust on the car I will not spray wax or QD I will do a rinseless wash instead.

What MF do you use damp?

What MF do you use damp?

Any excellent quality MF Towels. The MF Madness Blue ones and the Dry Me Crazies and Rag Company's Drying Ones and the Edgeless Blues and the AGO Gold's. You will be amazed on how much water gets absorbed. I believe the damp MF towel leaves a layer of protection from scratching the paint.

I use a dry one (any of those mentioned) and follow up with just barely any weight or brushing very gently.

I say try it! I have and that is the only way I dry and if my ride is not too dusty I will QD/Spray Wax that way too. If there is any significant amount of dust I will do a rinselss wash and will not QD/SW at all.

To me it looks like something that was already there and you didnt take them out when you polished. after you polish it is a good idea too look at in direct sun light. I just did a car yesterday and when i looked at one side it looked terrific but when i went to the other side where the sun was hitting it i could see the swirls still there so i had to polish again with a different pad and product. Just my opinion

Back