The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Phillips
  • Start date Start date
M

Mike Phillips

The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

The COMET Technique for oxidized single stage paint

1965_Caddy_018.JPG

NOTE: The COMET technique is ONLY for oxidized SINGLE STAGE paint.

Do no try this on a modern clearcoat paint you will likely scour the finish.

Back Story
This classic Cadillac is a true survivor car with only 63,000 miles and the original paint. In fact, the body panel fitment and alignment is so even and true, I'm confident to say this car has never been in an accident. It has the original single stage white paint, which in 1965 would be some brand of enamel.

I'm leaving Wednesday morning to teach our Roadshow Car Detailing Class in Tacoma, Washington at Griot's Garage.

Roadshow Class - Tacoma, Washington - July 27th & 28th at Griot's Garage with Mike Phillips at Autogeek

So the only time I can carve out to tackle this car is early tomorrow morning. I'm going to use a secret technique that I've shared on this forum in the past to tackle this car and knock this out in lightening speed. I teach classes but I also detail cars, I think it's important for anyone that calls themselves an "instructor" to also walk the walk and even better, share their work for others to see how they tackle projects via a write-up with pictures. I have hundreds if not thousands of write-ups for the cars I've detailed and this will simply be one more for the list.

BEFORE

1965_Caddy_000.JPG

1965_Caddy_010.JPG

1965_Caddy_011.JPG

1965_Caddy_005.JPG

1965_Caddy_006.JPG

1965_Caddy_007.JPG

Iron Decontamination

1965_Caddy_012.JPG

The COMET Wash Technique for Oxidized Single Stage Paint

The Cheater Technique for quickly removing oxidation

1965_Caddy_013.JPG

1965_Caddy_014.JPG

1965_Caddy_015.JPG

1965_Caddy_016.JPG

1965_Caddy_017.JPG

1965_Caddy_018.JPG

Here's AFTER washing with COMET - The paint is still dull but the majority of the loose oxidation has been removed and the paint is a much brighter white color.

1965_Caddy_019.JPG

:)

Re: 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

My back hurts just thinking about correcting that hood.

Good luck, and looking forward to your write up.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

That Caddy is in good hands! Anxious to see it when it's done!

giphy.gif

I anxiously await. The front end on those 60’s/70’s Caddies are amazing.

Just finished....

Ray and I buffed the paint, chrome and glass out in 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Test Spot

SlamJob_004.JPG

SlamJob_005.JPG

SlamJob_006.JPG

After doing one step with BLACKFIRE One Step

1965_Caddy_020.JPG

1965_Caddy_021.JPG

1965_Caddy_023.JPG

1965_Caddy_024.JPG

1965_Caddy_025.JPG

1965_Caddy_026.JPG

1965_Caddy_027.JPG

SlamJob_002.JPG

SlamJob_003.JPG

Products and number of pads used

SlamJob_001.JPG

Time to shut down Autogeek's Show Car Garage...

:buffing:

Also - I shared this trick in post #2 here,

60 year old single stage -planning

If you want to wash it, (I normally don't wash classics and introduce water where rust can form), then I would use the old Comet Trick. That is wash the car THOROUGHLY to first remove loose dirt, and looks like there's plenty of it. Then re-wash the car using a fresh clean wash mitt and a couple of cans of Comet.

The Comet will more-or-less gently remove the majority of the oxidation and get you down to a fresh base.

Also wash all the glass, chrome and stainless steel with the Comet and remove years of road film, oxidation, tarnish and even light rust.

You could also use Bon-Ami but I would go with Comet, it's a tick more aggressive and this isn't saying much.

Also see comment in post #4

See my answer in post #5

Comet cleanser!,,old school and cool ! ,,did you use all the those pads buffing it out?,,just changing them out instead of cleaning as you go to save time?

That was a fun time :) here are some pics from my phone.

NCU0tyb.jpg

RFLr7YI.jpg

TtpEwDq.jpg

...and a before/after shot.

lzUAlXr.jpg

Great job by you 2 polishing out that big Caddy.

Nice car, but those wheels & tires have got to go. Lol.

I'm guessing this is a Caddy Calais Mike? My buddy James (Cadillac Jimmy) has a Black '65 Calais in Sarasota, Fla.

I was sort of shocked by this comet method, not because it's not doable, but if it was me, I'd be mostly worried about just how much original paint is left and seeing primer peeking through after this procedure.

I know in certain lighting one can see primer beginning to peek on James's Caddy, I think the driver's side rear quarter if I remember correctly, the paint is getting that thin.

I might've thought you would've used your Meg's #7 treatment first?

Comet cleanser!,,old school and cool ! ,,

Yep.... old school method for removing oxidation during the washing step. As already mentioned - DON'T USE THIS TECHNIQUE ON A CLEARCOATED CAR.

did you use all the those pads buffing it out?,,

Yes.

just changing them out instead of cleaning as you go to save time?

Yes, saves time but also YOU do better work faster. As foam gets wet it gets soggy and any cutting or any polishing ability it offered when you first started buffing with it falls off or diminishes.

You ALWAYS do better work faster by switching out pads often.

If you look at the pictures I show for all my projects I always include pictures showing the tools I use and how many pads I used. I do this on purpose to "telegraph" a message to people that you need more than one pad to buff out a car.

Read this forum long enough or any FB group and you'll see people asking why their pad blew up? Then when asked what they did they'll tell you they were compounding a car hard and only have one pad. Happens all the time.

Here's my saying,

More pads is gooder

I usually use a couple pads when using the orbital but not with the rotary.
I had the "exploding pad " happen to me,,nothing worse than a face full of compound chunks or the actual pad itself smacking ya in the face.lol.
I was taught to detail by an old car lot/hot rodder guy who used the comet trick as well as quite few others,some tricks can carry over but others not so much.
I've skimmed through a couple videos but it's hard to follow as my internet is slow at home and I cannot find any peace and quiet at work to watch them :D

I'm guessing this is a Caddy Calais Mike? My buddy James (Cadillac Jimmy) has a Black '65 Calais in Sarasota, Fla.

It’s a Sedan Deville hardtop, this ones not a Calais, if you look closely you can see the script on the rear quarter panel.

It’s a Sedan Deville hardtop, this ones not a Calais, if you look closely you can see the script on the rear quarter panel.

What the hell do you know about Cadillacs?

Oh, wait..........:laughing:

I was taught to detail by an old car lot/hot rodder guy who used the comet trick as well as quite few others,

some tricks can carry over but others not so much.

I agree.

And I just want to point out that the COMET technique is ONLY for oxidized SINGLE STAGE paint.

Do no try this on a modern clearcoat paint you will likely scour the finish.

Back