PW Gun Rust Issues

chilly

Reaction score
I have an MTM SG28 snub gun and I have had rusty water come out of it several times this season after it has sat for a couple of days

65ff57864c4880d3061e22baf8b1ae7e.jpg

I reviewed this model on the MTM website and I’m not seeing any mention of what the internals are constructed from

I assumed brass and stainless but it looks like I’m wrong

I haven’t taken it apart because I thought I would see if any of you guys had any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it have a spring in it?

I would assume it would have to have a return spring in the valve body

Are you saying the spring is probably carbon steel and not a rust proof alloy

I guess I’ll pull it apart and see

If that’s the case you would think that it would be sealed from the water flow path

Hmmmmm

Actually I’m going to contact MTM first and see what they say and are willing to do about it

I know it’s not a top tier gun but it shouldn’t be rusting in a year

Do you have your hose on a hose reel?
Most reels have a carbon steel manifold on them, I just ordered a new reel from Hannay and had it speced with a stainless steel manifold to prevent rusting like the steel ones can do.
Are your quick connects stainless steel or are they plated steel that the plating has worn off of?

Most reels have a carbon steel manifold on them, I just ordered a new reel from Hannay and had it speced with a stainless steel manifold to prevent rusting like the steel ones can do.
Are your quick connects stainless steel or are they plated steel that the plating has worn off of?

No hose reel and my QD is stainless

MTM/Veloci got back to me, apologized for the trouble, but told me they will not cover the gun as it is out of warranty, being just over a year old

They gave me the option of buying a $17 rebuild kit or getting 50% off a new gun

I am not happy about their response and am not sure which way to go

I feel like buying another MTM gun that could fail in a year and a day is pointless

I would assume brass and stainless on the gun....

While your QD is stainless, the fitting on the hose . Any chance it's rust from that.

I would assume brass and stainless on the gun....

While your QD is stainless, the fitting on the hose . Any chance it's rust from that.

No, the rust is coming from the gun

It gets disconnected after use, the nozzle gets put back in the rack, and the gun hangs vertically from the wand holder on the PW

Since I started seeing this I have made sure I pull the trigger and “sling” the gun to get as much water out as possible and after a few days there is obviously still maybe a teaspoon of rusty water in the gun that dribbles out when I take it off the hanger

I probably should have been blowing the gun out with compressed air before putting it away but to me that’s ridiculous

It shouldn’t need that much babying

Their own video on leaking guns says one possible reason is a corroded check ball in the valve assembly

Without taking it apart I won’t know what the problem actually is but I have to wash the car tomorrow morning for a trip and I’m not dealing with it until I get back

Even then I’m going to have a new gun in hand before I tear it apart and I doubt it will be an MTM gun

So, I was looking at the MTM website, contemplating using the 50% off they offered me and I came across something that immediately made up my mind on purchasing another MTM product

This is copied directly from their website, I added the emphasis

WARRANTY / DEFECTIVE POLICY

We stand behind our products and guarantee their performance for 60 days after your purchase date on merchandise purchased from MTMHydroParts.com ONLY. Please call or email us for any warranty or possible defect issues. We will require a video and/or pictures to confirm product issues.

I don't know about you, but I am not plunking down my hard earned money on ANYTHING that is only warranted for 60 days

It also appears as if they only honor their warranty if you purchase directly from their website

Caveat Emptor

Sorry to read...Been using PW setups for at least 2 decades...As a general rule, while I'm not -slinging- it dry, I do hold it vert on both ends prior to end of use just to get whatever remnants out. I don't keep fittings on QD connects as the ball detents may leave a depression in it long term, so I disconnect those as well, etc, etc.....try best practice when not in use.

I should do a spot spray on mine next time into a bucket to see clarity of water....

So, I was looking at the MTM website, contemplating using the 50% off they offered me and I came across something that immediately made up my mind on purchasing another MTM product

This is copied directly from their website, I added the emphasis

WARRANTY / DEFECTIVE POLICY

We stand behind our products and guarantee their performance for 60 days after your purchase date on merchandise purchased from MTMHydroParts.com ONLY. Please call or email us for any warranty or possible defect issues. We will require a video and/or pictures to confirm product issues.

I don't know about you, but I am not plunking down my hard earned money on ANYTHING that is only warranted for 60 days

It also appears as if they only honor their warranty if you purchase directly from their website

Caveat Emptor

Man, that's standing WAYYYY behind their product . . . like miles and miles behind. 60 days? ###? Just from a basic customer-sat issue seems like it would have been a no-brainer for them to just apologize and ship you the rebuild kit on their dime. Instead they've got a potentially *former* customer that will have no problems sharing their less than positive views of MTM. Penny wise and pound foolish!

Man, that's standing WAYYYY behind their product . . . like miles and miles behind. 60 days? ###? Just from a basic customer-sat issue seems like it would have been a no-brainer for them to just apologize and ship you the rebuild kit on their dime. Instead they've got a potentially *former* customer that will have no problems sharing their less than positive views of MTM. Penny wise and pound foolish!

Exactly

And just to clarify

I told them it was a bit more than a year old and when they said sorry, out of warranty, I ASSUMED that the warranty was a year

I can’t even begin to fathom a 60 day warranty unless the vast majority of what they sell is used industrially or commercially and just gets hammered

Kind of hard to believe

That really sucks chilly. I would expect a company of their caliber to stand behind their product for more than 60 days.

I run an essential washer swivel gun and have been more than happy with it, haven't noticed any rusting as of yet but it's been a while since I've used it so I'll report back.

I’m looking at a McKillans gun now

I’ll look at Essentials as well

I wish I remembered the brand of the gun I had in Hawaii that came from Amazon

It got used multiple times a week for several years and zero issues

I guess if I want to blow a huge load of cash I can look at Mosmatic

Great gun?

Probably

Status symbol?

To me it kind of is and I have no one to impress

Exactly

And just to clarify

I told them it was a bit more than a year old and when they said sorry, out of warranty, I ASSUMED that the warranty was a year

I can’t even begin to fathom a 60 day warranty unless the vast majority of what they sell is used industrially or commercially and just gets hammered

Kind of hard to believe

Harbor Freight's *lowest* warranty coverage for tools is 90 days. So MTM is saying "We are 66% as good as HF!". Low bar, indeed.

That really sucks chilly. I would expect a company of their caliber to stand behind their product for more than 60 days.

I run an essential washer swivel gun and have been more than happy with it, haven't noticed any rusting as of yet but it's been a while since I've used it so I'll report back.

Just took a gander at the gun and there isn't any rust to speak of :xyxthumbs:

Back