Ordering Flex 3401 - Questions

CC268

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Flex 3401 - at one time I kept up with all the current products, but I've long been out of the "game". Hoping someone can help with a few questions:

1. It looks like the 3401 is out of stock - is this the same model, just a "Special Edition"? FLEX 3401 VRG Red Beast - Special Edition Polisher

2. It comes with a 5.5" backing plate, but most people seem to recommend a 4 3/8" or 4.5" backing plate. Which do you recommend?

3. Are the Lake Country Hybrid pads still the way to go? If so, am I best off with the 5.5" pads? Orange or white for light/moderate correction?Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads - Autogeek.net

Thanks!

Yes, it is the same machine, just a special edition.

I run one with the larger plate, I feel that you really don't need the smaller backing plate all that often.

I use LC pads with mine. My go to pad.

I run 6.5" pads on mine.

And if you can't find one in stock or have to wait to long, look into the Harbor Freight Hercules forced rotation machine. A solid machine, love mine.

Yes, it is the same machine, just a special edition.

I run one with the larger plate, I feel that you really don't need the smaller backing plate all that often.

I use LC pads with mine. My go to pad.

I run 6.5" pads on mine.

And if you can't find one in stock or have to wait to long, look into the Harbor Freight Hercules forced rotation machine. A solid machine, love mine.

Thanks! I suppose I could try the 6.5” pads. I imagine those might be fairly large for smaller vehciles with tighter contours though?

That’s interesting to hear the Harbor Freight version is a good machine! Certainly would save me a lot of cash.

From what I recall 3401 was being disco’s replace by xce 10-8-125 “c -beast”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The harbor freight hercules unit is awesome and priced nicely. If I were you, I'd use the hercules unit for larger areas and equip your gg6 with a 3 inch backing plate for tighter areas.

The harbor freight hercules unit is awesome and priced nicely. If I were you, I'd use the hercules unit for larger areas and equip your gg6 with a 3 inch backing plate for tighter areas.

I don't have my GG6 anymore.

That said, the more I research the more I think I will stay away from Rupes or any long throw polisher.

I think a great way to go would be a Griot's G9 and G8 and then add the Hercules. That would cover pretty much everything I would ever need and more, at a much reduced cost.

That said, the more I research the more I think I will stay away from Rupes or any long throw polisher.

I think a great way to go would be a Griot's G9 and G8 and then add the Hercules. That would cover pretty much everything I would ever need and more, at a much reduced cost.

You can get pretty creative with forced rotation polishers. I have a 4.5" backing plate on the hercules and run 5.5" pads which leaves me with 1" of pad to get into tighter areas. It all comes down to how comfortable you are with the machine.

Having a G9 and the hercules would be redundant, the hercules and G8 should have you covered. But if you like the G9 that much then by all means pick it up as well.

Why anti long throw? If you’re doing a 3” it’s the perfect mate. I’d only do a 8mm rotation if I wasn’t getting a mini.

Also lots of complaints on G8. I would do g13. I’ve tried both and it is a superior machine.

Why anti long throw? If you’re doing a 3” it’s the perfect mate. I’d only do a 8mm rotation if I wasn’t getting a mini.

Also lots of complaints on G8. I would do g13. I’ve tried both and it is a superior machine.

Idk this is becoming quickly very overwhelming. Everyone has a different opinion of course. That said after many hours of research it seems a lot more people complain about pad stalling and issues with long throw vs those that recommend it. Even Mike Phillips seems to be a much bigger advocate of forced rotation over these long throw polishers

Ahhh okay my apologies. So that’s the model to get then…

I'm looking at that one, and it doesn't look like you can use the smaller 3401 backing plate that people have mentioned. What I see is it comes with a 6" backing plate, and that you can install the 5" backing plate from the long throw machine, but not the 5.5" one that goes on the 3401, or the ~4.5" one that you can get for the 3401. The Hercules is compatible with the 3401 backing plates. Maybe someone else can confirm/clarify the backing plate sizes/compatibility.

PS Also, I presume the Hercules backing plate is actually 5.5 like the 3401, even though the documentation implies it's 6"

6.5 LC force pads are what i use on my flex supa beast(aka 10-8 125). White and orange.

I also run the 6 inch backing plate. 9 times outta 10 you can just run the pad up on edge in a small area. And if the are still need something smaller, then i toss on a 3 inch pad on my flex rotary.

I feel those two machines will take care of damn near anything one might come across.

Using free spinning da machines, weither 5-6inch or 1-3 inch pads are so time consuming and slow.

If you are looking to paint correct more than a vehicle or two a year..and can afford it, imho i feel the best decision is to just get a flex supa beast, then if the need arises later down the road...get a rotary.(flex imo)

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

if you want to stay within the flex family (and don't mind spending more), a great choice would be the 3401/supa beast and the pxe 80 and you will have all your basis covered. there's also a flexible shaft extension for the pxe 80 which will allow you to use little conical/cylindrical pads for the intricate tighter areas...

6.5 LC force pads are what i use on my flex supa beast(aka 10-8 125). White and orange.

I also run the 6 inch backing plate. 9 times outta 10 you can just run the pad up on edge in a small area. And if the are still need something smaller, then i toss on a 3 inch pad on my flex rotary.

I feel those two machines will take care of damn near anything one might come across.

Using free spinning da machines, weither 5-6inch or 1-3 inch pads are so time consuming and slow.

If you are looking to paint correct more than a vehicle or two a year..and can afford it, imho i feel the best decision is to just get a flex supa beast, then if the need arises later down the road...get a rotary.(flex imo)

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think I will go with the 6.5 LC Force Pads. Do you find that the orange pad finishes well or do you have to follow up with something else?

if you want to stay within the flex family (and don't mind spending more), a great choice would be the 3401/supa beast and the pxe 80 and you will have all your basis covered. there's also a flexible shaft extension for the pxe 80 which will allow you to use little conical/cylindrical pads for the intricate tighter areas...

Yea that is exactly what I was thinking. Supa Beast + PXE80 would be an awesome combo.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think I will go with the 6.5 LC Force Pads. Do you find that the orange pad finishes well or do you have to follow up with something else?
The orange has always finished down without needing to go further for me. I do mostly only use orange for one step corrections where a white pad is not agressive enough

The orange has always finished down without needing to go further for me. I do mostly only use orange for one step corrections where a white pad is not agressive enough

Fantastic thanks! I will likely just order the orange pads for now then.

Idk this is becoming quickly very overwhelming. Everyone has a different opinion of course. That said after many hours of research it seems a lot more people complain about pad stalling and issues with long throw vs those that recommend it. Even Mike Phillips seems to be a much bigger advocate of forced rotation over these long throw polishers

No definitely force rotation is better at anti stall and other positives and benefits. I have a g15…. Love it. Going cordless so bought a c beast.

My comment was vs the G9. Paired with a 3” a g15 will perform better for you. For a novice less chance of burn through with a free spinning DA. You seem to be looking at quality products and I promise you’ll be happy no matter what you order.

Mike Phillips prefers flex because he does a lot of cars and a flex will definitely polish faster.

Back