Can you Believe this is a Hyundai

It will take time, but people still don't equate Hyundai and Kia with performance. Both brands have built their reputation on sensible, affordable vehicles.

I think if both brands actually marketed the N/GT brand cars it would help. I don't think I've ever seen an ad for an N'd car.

Getting into Motorsports would help too. On any given weekend you'll see Mazda's, BMW Ms, Mercedes AMG's, Mustangs, Vettes, Lexus, Toyota, and Porsches in all manner of race series. Audi and Subaru were some of the founders of modern rally racing and people still remember that even though they don't participate any more. The only place I've seen a Hyundai race is in IMSA's feeder series with GT4 cars.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

It is likely due to my time at a dealer when I was there but when I think "Kia" I still think about techs taking warm parafine wax and pumping it into Sportage subframes so they didn't rot out in two winters. If the wax oozed out of a few areas it was too late lol. That was many years ago, but some things just stick with ya.

I didn't realize they were still in it! Glad to hear it.

When many of the factory teams like Subaru, Peugeot, Ford, Skoda, and Citroen all pulled out I haven't followed WRC very closely. That and coverage isn't like it used to be.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

It got farily boring watching VW win so much a few years back. Even I, a VW guy, got bored with it. Those Fins sure can drive....

It is likely due to my time at a dealer when I was there but when I think "Kia" I still think about techs taking warm parafine wax and pumping it into Sportage subframes so they didn't rot out in two winters. If the wax oozed out of a few areas it was too late lol. That was many years ago, but some things just stick with ya.

Yikes! That's no good. My only experience with Kia's have been rental cars. The only ones I can remember are Soul's if that tells you something. I actually have a quite favorable view of the Soul. It drives surprisingly well and I can see it filling the niche left behind when Honda quit building the Fit. The Kia dealership experience still keeps me from recommending it to anyone.

It got farily boring watching VW win so much a few years back. Even I, a VW guy, got bored with it. Those Fins sure can drive....

I cut my teeth watching it in the early 2000's when I lived in the UK and could watch events live on TV. Those were the days of Carlos Sainz, Colin McRae, and Markus Gronholm. The Subaru/Peugot/Citroen rivalry was fantastic to watch.

Hopefully Hyundai/Kia have learned something about how much salt/brine we use here in the US in the last 10 years, because I can say based on my conversations with owners that they didn't learn anything in the 10 years before that. But I have found Asian brands in general to be less resistant than the domestic brands. Whether it's just for weight or corrosion or both, I've seen GM using plenty of aluminum in those structural applications.

Sadly Hyunai doesn't give us the i30 N here in the US an SEAT/Cupra aren't sold here either.

I had no idea SEAT rebranded Cupra into it's own line of cars. I had to look it up. SEATs always caught me eye when I leved in Europe. They were the sporty, cool VW's in the UK.

Sadly Hyunai doesn't give us the i30 N here in the US an SEAT/Cupra aren't sold here either.

I had no idea SEAT rebranded Cupra into it's own line of cars. I had to look it up. SEATs always caught me eye when I leved in Europe. They were the sporty, cool VW's in the UK.
The Cupras are still rare enough that when I see one on the road I do a double take. I do like the look of them.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

The Cupras are still rare enough that when I see one on the road I do a double take. I do like the look of them.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
Last summer I actually did see a Cupra, it had plates on it from Mexico and I too did a double take

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

My Powerflex trio bushes upgrade work w/o the tune but with the tune the tires spin/hop but then again it's the Kona N size and type, not my Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, those go back on come fall before my return to The Dragon

Bushings and other trickery with the suspension can help with axle hop, but when you put high HP into a FWD car there is only so much you can do before physics takes over. Weight transfer lightens the front of the car and the weight on the drive wheels.

You're not alone with hopping problem. At our autocross events a stock Civic Type R runs in the came class as the 86/BRZ and I've become friends with a an owner of Type R. At every event, his biggest complaint is the amount of time he loses coming off the start line due to axle hop and losing traction. He can make it up other places, but it stinks loosing sever tenths from the very beginning.

Are you saying you only run your your PS4S tires in the fall for your Dragon run?

Bushings and other trickery with the suspension can help with axle hop, but when you put high HP into a FWD car there is only so much you can do before physics takes over. Weight transfer lightens the front of the car and the weight on the drive wheels.

You're not alone with hopping problem. At our autocross events a stock Civic Type R runs in the came class as the 86/BRZ and I've become friends with a an owner of Type R. At every event, his biggest complaint is the amount of time he looses coming off the start line due to axle hop and losing traction. He can make it up other places, but it stinks loosing sever tenths from the very beginning.

Are you saying you only run your your PS4S tires in the fall for your Dragon run?
Well I took the originals off @6750 miles and the Michelin X-Ice's installed in the fall of 2022. Come spring of 2023 I bought a set of take-off Kona N tires & wheels, these are Pirelli 235/40/19's compared to my Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 245/35/19's. Once the Pirelli's wear out (@6/32nds right now waiting) the Michelins go back on the car

Ahhh. OK. I wasn't connecting the dots between your current set up and the Kona N wheels/tires. I'm assuming the Kona N wheels are the same width?

Ahhh. OK. I wasn't connecting the dots between your current set up and the Kona N wheels/tires. I'm assuming the Kona N wheels are the same width?
Yes, they are 19 / 8 inch.

i don't think i've ever seen Sofyan Bey so excited and shocked like this in any of his reviews. one thing though, this is definitely a vehicle not to be taken lightly...

I really hope this thing sells like crazy and drives other automakers to do something similar.

Making an electric car fast is a child's play these days. The real challenge is to make it actually fun to toss around. I briefly drove and autocrossed a BMW i4 not long ago, and it was actually pretty fun too, but it was pretty tame compared to where Hyundai has gone with this Ioniq5.

I really hope this thing sells like crazy and drives other automakers to do something similar.

Making an electric car fast is a child's play these days. The real challenge is to make it actually fun to toss around. I briefly drove and autocrossed a BMW i4 not long ago, and it was actually pretty fun too, but it was pretty tame compared to where Hyundai has gone with this Ioniq5.
That video was great but at $66-70K, plus the sure to follow mark ups, not sure crazy will ensue

Yeah, a car like that is not cheap to develop or build.

From a potential competitor standpoint, the price might not be too far off. It's pretty close in price to the BMWi4, way more than a Tesla 3 Performance, not far off a Lucid Air, and way less than an Audi e-tron GT or Porsche Taycan. Hyundai will need to show it can out perform those competitors and things like build quality, materials, and dealer experience is comparable.

Back