Paint Hardness Spreadsheet

I noticed that the "Dodge" line has an entry, but the "Chrysler" line is still blank.

I'm wondering in this case, color for color and year for year, would the paint/clear coat of a given color of, for example, a 2008 Dodge PU probably have the same characteristics as a 2008 Chrysler 300 of the same color?

If "true/correct/or reasonable", then the same information could be placed/used on the Chrysler line as is contained on the Dodge line????

I noticed that Mercury isn't listed, but could Ford info be used as a starting point for Mercury?

I hope I have stated my question in an understandable way.

I noticed that the "Dodge" line has an entry, but the "Chrysler" line is still blank.

I'm wondering in this case, color for color and year for year, would the paint/clear coat of a given color of, for example, a 2008 Dodge PU probably have the same characteristics as a 2008 Chrysler 300 of the same color?

If "true/correct/or reasonable", then the same information could be placed/used on the Chrysler line as is contained on the Dodge line????

I noticed that Mercury isn't listed, but could Ford info be used as a starting point for Mercury?

I hope I have stated my question in an understandable way.

Just insert a row to add Mercury, or anything else for that matter.
I inserted Pontiac the first day. ;)

Chevrolet in my experience, their paint is hard as a rock. But i can only say that about the 00-06 cars.

Chrysler has decently hard paint. I just corrected a 2011 300C, and it was hard. I heard that when MB took over Chrysler however long back, that the paint started becoming harder.

Just insert a row to add Mercury, or anything else for that matter.
I inserted Pontiac the first day. ;)

Thanks for that. I knew I was going to miss a couple manufacturers. I just copied from a pull-down list from MSN Autos. I'm sure there will be more to add.

Chevrolet in my experience, their paint is hard as a rock. But i can only say that about the 00-06 cars.

Feel free to add that info. There is a comment column in the spreadsheet for good info like this. Thanks for sharing.

Chrysler has decently hard paint. I just corrected a 2011 300C, and it was hard. I heard that when MB took over Chrysler however long back, that the paint started becoming harder.

Also good info to add to the comments column. Feel free to jump right into the spreadsheet and add it. Thanks for sharing your experience!

I thought it might be good to :bump2: this since it's been about a month since anyone posted. I have noticed that this form has filled out nicely and was hoping some fresh eyes could add to it. As the weather gets better for detailing and new people are signing on, this can be a great resource/reminder for many.

Thanks for everyone's contributions thus far and happy detailing.

The spread sheet is coming along nicely! The things that I have had the pleasure of working on have been filled in but keep bumping this thread as I think it is important to have a starting point for types of paint. :)

I updated it tonight with Ferrari Rosso Rubino (Ruby Red Metallic). Did a 355 week before last with a friend, 1 of 1 in that color. Really soft that one was! Light touch with SIP and a LC orange flat, followed with 205 and black CCS and it was ready for cq.

I updated it tonight with Ferrari Rosso Rubino (Ruby Red Metallic). Did a 355 week before last with a friend, 1 of 1 in that color. Really soft that one was! Light touch with SIP and a LC orange flat, followed with 205 and black CCS and it was ready for cq.

Lucky! Those exotics may just be one-offs. With their custom colors and even some manufactures building in small numbers, it may be difficult to track vs. mass produced makes and models. Any detailers who touch these types treat them with care, I'm sure.

Either way, thanks for sharing and adding to the list.

OP----- Add in Maserati

Hard CC not found a soft or medium one yet.

Compound------ Flex 3401 (5-6 setting), Meg's Microfiber cutting, Meg D300, Hydro Tech Blue, D300( will leave micro marring which will be taken out with final polish.

Polish----- Flex 3401 (3-4 setting) , Hydro Tech Orange, Rupes Diamond, or SF4000, 4500 ( takes out all micro marring from compounding stage, but typically Maserati Paint has bubbles in it from chemicals seeping out over time through the CC, which won't come out ever. (Can use Megs Microfiber Finishing pads, but will leave a tad bit of marring, if doing a Jewel stage then go for this pad, its quicker and helps remove a little extra) Megs Ultimate works well if used in conjunction with these others.

Jeweling---- Flex 3401 (2 setting), Black LC pad no cut at all, with Rupes Diamond

Maserati Front bumpers are typically best to have removed, and repainted due to the small curves, and small areas around the vents. (If done, remember Maserati Paint codes need to be tweaked due to plastic parts for Black (Nero) and the physical car panels vary slightly and need to match) Rear bumper can be polished normal.

Bumping this up after I found it and thought it was interesting and relevant.

The beauty of Autogeek/Autopia history, always finding great stuff.

Back