Review & How-To: BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Paint Coating Black Edition

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Phillips
  • Start date Start date
Getting ready to install this for the first time this weekend. Have only used UK3.0 prior to this. Is this coating safe for PPF? Cant wait to try it.

Getting ready to install this for the first time this weekend. Have only used UK3.0 prior to this.

Is this coating safe for PPF? Cant wait to try it.

I would say "yes" but apply, wait about 35 to 45 seconds and then gently wipe the treated area.

:)

Getting ready to install this for the first time this weekend. Have only used UK3.0 prior to this.

Is this coating safe for PPF? Cant wait to try it.

Mike Phillips said:
I would say "yes" but apply, wait about 35 to 45 seconds and then gently wipe the treated area.

Thank you sir. Appreciate it.

And now for the follow-up..............................

How did it turn out?

:dunno:

Ended up. Doing a friends older truck.

She was a little ruff around the edges but it turned out very nice I think. Coating seems to be holding up well. We have had an abnormal amount of rain since install.

Looks freaking awesome!

73536d1622056234-review-how-blackfire-pro-ceramic-paint-coating-black-edition-956aac96-f78e-4eb3-b85a-e7e9c2fdef44-jpg

All my clients that I've installed this particular coating - the all love it. Live I've shared before, it's bullet-proof.

And everyone loves how easy and fast it is to wash and dry this coating. Especially if you have a leaf blower.

Normally, these small patches of microfiber suede are soft and limp.... look how stiff it is after the coating has fully dried.

Hi Mike,

When doing a 3x3 section for a hood with MF suede, can it be reused be used on the next part of the hood or will the coating product on the MF suede flash at the same time/rate as the ceramic coating on the car?

Same question for removing coating with MF, one section of a panel and done or reusable for next section of a panel ?

I bought the BF black edition ceramic, just figuring how many towels I need to have on hand for my giant truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,

When doing a 3x3 section for a hood with MF suede, can it be reused be used on the next part of the hood or will the coating product on the MF suede flash at the same time/rate as the ceramic coating on the car?

Same question for removing coating with MF, one section of a panel and done or reusable for next section of a panel ?

I bought the BF black edition ceramic, just figuring how many towels I need to have on hand for my giant truck.

Anyone with insight?

Hi Mike,

I can't personally speak for the Blackfire coating, but with most other coatings out there you can use the same applicator for the whole vehicle, as long as it stays clean. If it gets dirty or you drop it on the ground, I would use a fresh applicator. Using the same one will reduce product usage, and because you're continuously pouring more onto the applicator, the solvents will keep it from hardening until it dries.

For removal, I would keep several very clean or new microfibers on hand. I like to use three at a time. One low pile like a Rag Company Pearl to "level" the coating. This basically is the last step of spreading it evenly and you want to wipe gently and uniformly. The second is to follow up and remove residue, and the third towel isn't necessary but I use it to buff off the final residue. Keep changing towels when you feel like it isn't working as effectively as it gets loaded with product. Then towel 2 becomes towel 1, towel 3 becomes towel 2, and the final wipe towel is always the cleanest.

Hi Mike,

Anyone with insight?

Apologies gr8almty1,

A saw these questions of your but just haven't had time to get back to you.

I'm in the same opinion and experience as crb001,

I can't personally speak for the Blackfire coating, but with most other coatings out there you can use the same applicator for the whole vehicle, as long as it stays clean.

If it gets dirty or you drop it on the ground, I would use a fresh applicator.

Using the same one will reduce product usage, and because you're continuously pouring more onto the applicator, the solvents will keep it from hardening until it dries.

My own experience is like stated above, the re-wetting of the face of the applicator with the product being used does seem to show the fresh solvents (from out of the bottle), do tend to keep the entire face of the applicator wet and not drying, hardening and becoming sticky.

At the same time, if it could never hurt to use a a fresh side of either a patch of microfiber suede or my favorite, the coating-saver type foam block, switch to a different, clean side.

See here,

Review: Speed Master Coating Applicator

These applicator's have a plastic liner behind the microfiber so they won't soak up and simply waster coating.

Cermic_S550_026.JPG

Here, allow me to use some scissors to show you what I'm talking about...

Here I've cut an applicator in half.

Speed_Master_Coating_Applicator_01.JPG

I've removed the microfiber outside off of the foam block found in the inside. SEE the plastic film?

Speed_Master_Coating_Applicator_02.JPG

I rarely use the rigid foam blocks with the microfiber suede patches any longer.

Besides saving your coating from simply soaking into the foam core, the foam blocks, (like the one pictured above), in my opinion and expereince are easier to use and do a better job of spreading out and laying down a thin layer of coating.

I rarely use the rigid foam blocks with the microfiber suede patches any longer.

Grumble grumble…bought a 30 pack of MF suede based on this article. Thanks for the info though. Always appreciated.

Grumble grumble…bought a 30 pack of MF suede based on this article.

Thanks for the info though. Always appreciated.

First - Send me your shipping address and I'll send you some of the Speed Master Foam Block Coating Applicators for free. I'm assuming and hoping you live in the lower 48 states otherwise shipping becomes a hassle - at least for me. :)

Second - When I wrote this review, the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating "Black Edition" was paired with the MicroSuede Cloth and the BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator like I shared in this picture.

Fold a MicroSuede Cloth around a BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator.

BF_Pro_Coating_021.JPG

Not only does Autogeek want me to show these items with the coating "because" that's how they are sold on the AG site - BUT the black and red foam block coating saver applicator I now like, use and recommend was not yet available.

At least not to me via Autogeek inventory.

So no harm intended, I shared what I was responsible for sharing and also what was available.

Make sense?

So e-mail me your shipping address, I hope you live in one of the lower 48 states and I'll get them shipped out today.

[email protected]

:cheers:

Just wanted to add my experience with the Blackfire Pro Ceramic Black Edition.

I have coated two vehicles with it. The first was a 2011 Silver Grey BMW M3. The second was a 2019 Ram 2500 Mega cab, which had metallic black paint.

The M3 was coated in mid spring with ambient air temperatures in the upper 60's and low humidity. The Ram was coated earlier this week with ambient air temps in the upper 70's and very high humidity. Not only was the application more time consuming and "difficult" due to the black paint and the size of the vehicle, I am convinced that the higher air temp and significantly higher humidity effected the "flash" or set up time of the coating.

With the M3, I was able to do at least 1 full panel at a time and wait for the "sweating", which was very visible. While with the Ram, I was forced to reduce my application to 1/3 panels due to the coating flashing within 90-120 seconds. Because of such a BIG swing in application conditions, I ended up with several "high spots" on the first two panels of the Ram. I was able to remove them with Blackfire One Step, as Mike had mentioned in one of his previous articles.

Reason for the post was just to make everyone aware that the environmental conditions will (in my experience) effect how the application of the coating goes. This seems to be especially true with the Blackfire Pro Ceramic Black Edition.

For reference, both vehicles were coated in a semi-climate controlled garage but, the exhaust fan and single window unit AC hadn't been able to keep up with the high temps and high levels of humidity outside.

For now, I don't have any overall pictures of the Ram but, here is a door panel after coating. The spots are metallic flake.
View attachment 73957

First - Send me your shipping address and I'll send you some of the Speed Master Foam Block Coating Applicators for free. I'm assuming and hoping you live in the lower 48 states otherwise shipping becomes a hassle - at least for me. :)

Second - When I wrote this review, the BLACKFIRE Pro Ceramic Coating "Black Edition" was paired with the MicroSuede Cloth and the BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator like I shared in this picture.

Fold a MicroSuede Cloth around a BLACKFIRE Coating Applicator.

BF_Pro_Coating_021.JPG

Not only does Autogeek want me to show these items with the coating "because" that's how they are sold on the AG site - BUT the black and red foam block coating saver applicator I now like, use and recommend was not yet available.

At least not to me via Autogeek inventory.

So no harm intended, I shared what I was responsible for sharing and also what was available.

Make sense?

So e-mail me your shipping address, I hope you live in one of the lower 48 states and I'll get them shipped out today.

[email protected]

:cheers:

Mike,

When I ordered the Blackfire lit, I didn't receive the suede applicators, but rather a blue microfiber block. Just wondering if the foam applicator you referred to is how I should install for best results since this will be my first time with this coating. Any chance of getting one to try?

Mike,

When I ordered the Blackfire lit, I didn't receive the suede applicators, but rather a blue microfiber block. Just wondering if the foam applicator you referred to is how I should install for best results since this will be my first time with this coating. Any chance of getting one to try?

Hey Scott,

That coating actually works better when applied with the microfiber applicator blocks as it helps spread that coating out thicker. The block and suedes still work but they spread the coating out much thinner which doesn't allow for as much of the flash time (sweating effect). When applied with the microfiber applicators, it actually spreads out thicker and you get a longer flash time where you can start seeing it do the "sweating" effect.

When it comes to the actual wipe off period (flash time - which varies for everyone depending on the environment they are in), you can actually do a test spot to determine how much time you really have. I recommend applying a 2ftx2ft or 3ftx3ft square initially and waiting 1 minute. After 1 minute, wipe off one of the corners of the square. If it's easy to wipe off, then you know it's good for at least 1 minute. Then give it another minute, and wipe off another corner. If that corner wipes off easy, then you know 2 minutes is still good. Then wipe off another corner after another minute (3 minutes now). Same thing, if the 3rd corner wipes off easy, you know you have at least 3 minutes of flash time. The sweating doesn't kick in until about that 2-3 minute or more mark typically. Once the coating starts to become "tacky" to wipe off, you know you've hit your limit so dial back the flash time a little bit! Hope this helps

Mike,

I've applied Blackfire Pro Black Edition on my red Tesla. It was so easy and it came out great! When I washed my car the other day, I noticed 2 tree sap droppings and when I tried to scrub them away, it seems like it has eaten into the coating and now left a mark. What is your suggestion to fix this? Is there a product that I can use to remove it or do I have to polish off the entire coating and recoat it again? The unfortunate thing is one dropping is right smack in the middle of the hood and the other is on the left side fender. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 75675

Mike,

I've applied Blackfire Pro Black Edition on my red Tesla. It was so easy and it came out great! When I washed my car the other day, I noticed 2 tree sap droppings and when I tried to scrub them away, it seems like it has eaten into the coating and now left a mark. What is your suggestion to fix this? Is there a product that I can use to remove it or do I have to polish off the entire coating and recoat it again? The unfortunate thing is one dropping is right smack in the middle of the hood and the other is on the left side fender. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 75675

Mike is no longer with Autogeek. The act of "scrubbing" causes scratching. A product like CarPro TarX would have been a good option to remove the sap chemically. You could still try that and see if it helps. Stoners makes a tar & sap remover that can sometimes be found locally.

If it is still there then you will find yourself polishing the entire panel and reapplying the coating.

Back