4 Part Process Still Has Swirls?

Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

Here just relax and we I will get you straightened out. The wool cuts better than the yellow but leaves a better finish because it levels the paint better which in turn will make it easier to remove the marring from the wool.

I know you didn't say you were not filling anything, it is the polish that is filling. The 3M swirl remover is widely known as a filler not a true swirl remover. The only true swirl remover that 3M has is its Ultrafina/Ultrafine. When you are polishing and do not remove all the swirls and wipe away the polish and not use an IPA wipedown the polish will "fill" the swirls/marring. So when you jumped to the gray pad it is not strong enough to remove the larger swirls/marring that the yellow pad induced so all it did was remove the polish that "filled" in the swrils/marring. This is why you thought the gray pad was the problem. I know if you were to do and IPA wipedown before using your gray pad all the swirls would have re-appered and you would have understood what I was trying to say. In the detailing world no matter if the polish says it does not fill but if it does not remove the swirls completely we call it filling them in-i.e fills. I hope this helps a little better. If not ask a few more questions and I will give you the answers.

Here just relax and we I will get you straightened out. The wool cuts better than the yellow but leaves a better finish because it levels the paint better which in turn will make it easier to remove the marring from the wool.

I know you didn't say you were not filling anything, it is the polish that is filling. The 3M swirl remover is widely known as a filler not a true swirl remover. The only true swirl remover that 3M has is its Ultrafina/Ultrafine. When you are polishing and do not remove all the swirls and wipe away the polish and not use an IPA wipedown the polish will "fill" the swirls/marring. So when you jumped to the gray pad it is not strong enough to remove the larger swirls/marring that the yellow pad induced so all it did was remove the polish that "filled" in the swrils/marring. This is why you thought the gray pad was the problem. I know if you were to do and IPA wipedown before using your gray pad all the swirls would have re-appered and you would have understood what I was trying to say. In the detailing world no matter if the polish says it does not fill but if it does not remove the swirls completely we call it filling them in-i.e fills. I hope this helps a little better. If not ask a few more questions and I will give you the answers.

Hey Dana,
In this situation would you have gone to an orange pad after the yellow instead of the gray pad?.
This is a great example of (as you always said) how important it is to do an IPA after each stage of polishing.

Hey Dana,
In this situation would you have gone to an orange pad after the yellow instead of the gray pad?.
This is a great example of (as you always said) how important it is to do an IPA after each stage of polishing.
I say it is a great example of how important it is to do a test spot. :xyxthumbs:

DLB

What polisher are you using?

Hey Dana,

UncleStu you are correct, yes an orange pad after wool, then white, then a finishing pad. It was late and I overlooked that. I apologize to the OP for forgetting that step.

Also this would be a perfect example of why you do an IPA wipedown after each step.

I wonder what she has done today............ Feed back please :hungry:

ok i am using 3m compound with 3m wool head then a yellow foam head, i then used perfect it polish for dark with 3m gray head, then i used finesse it finishing polish with blue polish pad. but i STILL have swirl marks from the gray pad.

Just to everybody knows. She said she is using the 3M pad system. Not the Lake Country Pads. Dont get confused as I see so many of you are.

So she has:
3m wool
3m black/gray polishing
3m blue pad(ultrafina)

Its all speculation until she comes back in and verifies. I for one have a set of these pads and have no problem going with 3m wool straight to 3m black foam at all. I think you're not breaking down the polishing long enough, or you could be over working and dry polishing.

Just because a polish contains fillers doesnt mean it wont correct. Take a look at the old Megs twins 83/80. They are heavy in oils that fill but the abrasives in them also correct the paint at the same time. Its mostly technique not product.

Last edited:

What polisher are you using?

Are you working the polishes down long enough so the polish fully breaks down?

Last edited:

Well, I know where she went the other day. She is waiting for me to arrive in San Antonio, TX next week. I also know what she has purchased, however, it's not for this problem. Something that she saw used and loved it. She was given some very good coaching about her vehicle.

4 part process still has swirls?

I have taken it out 2 times during the day, and though cloudy, i have not been able to see swirl marks but under one very high power blue tinted MH bulb in front of my house.

you can not see it unless in direct sun and looking at the right angle. to me this looks like holographic reflections.
these marks are not identical the marks i made when i used the compound. these marks showed up and covered up with the polishing possess. gray 3m buff pad
DSC06969.jpg

DSC06979.jpg

DSC06971.jpg

DSC06970.jpg

DSC06967.jpg

87rx7chick_rotarybufferswirls.jpg

Those are holograms, looks like you are not minimizing the holograms as you go and they are too much to remove with your final polish step and I still think it is your middle polish step. If you are using Ultrafina as your final polishing and there are holograms that are too bad it will not remove them. You need to work on your middle steps and find a better polish to use to remove or make the holograms a lot less. If you can find some Megs 105 or even 205 then follow up with your Ultrafina that should do it. Now if they are still there after using those polish then it is your techinique that is causing your problem. What speeds are you using the rotary while you are polishing, I mean during your middle steps and final step?

Those are holograms, looks like you are not minimizing the holograms as you go and they are too much to remove with your final polish step and I still think it is your middle polish step. If you are using Ultrafina as your final polishing and there are holograms that are too bad it will not remove them. You need to work on your middle steps and find a better polish to use to remove or make the holograms a lot less. If you can find some Megs 105 or even 205 then follow up with your Ultrafina that should do it. Now if they are still there after using those polish then it is your techinique that is causing your problem. What speeds are you using the rotary while you are polishing, I mean during your middle steps and final step?

my buffer has 1-6 dial setting. 600-6000, i use it at about 1.5 threw 2. ick the RPM but i would assume its about 1000-1500

i found if i go faster it splatters all over or uses up the material to fast

i am sure the middle step i didnt do well enough. product said use enough to work a 2x2 area and as it dries up reduce pressure and polish.

it was 60 degrees and dropping, already night time and i was trying to learn at the same time.

i have some offers for help from 3 different people currently . steve is coming in town on tuesday and we're heading over to anthony's shop.

If it is the Anthony I think you are talking about then you will be in good hands for sure.

If it is the Anthony I think you are talking about then you will be in good hands for sure.

i brought it to him on thursday but due to the overcast from the coming rain he was unable to see these marks.

but i was able to buy some no rinse from him:props:

i brought it to him on thursday but due to the overcast from the coming rain he was unable to see these marks.

but i was able to buy some no rinse from him:props:

Hey there,

I will bring my Flex and Meg's 105 & 205. I will also bring some of my pads as well. I just hope the Border Patrol does not mess around with my car since I have no idea if those smells will catch the dogs attentions. I will text my ICE buddy and as him some questions since he has a drug dog Lab for a pet.

Crap. I need to was my Mazda today before I hit the road. I'm sure the front of my car will have plenty of butterflies all over the front due to driving through the King Ranch.

Hey there,

I will bring my Flex and Meg's 105 & 205. I will also bring some of my pads as well. I just hope the Border Patrol does not mess around with my car since I have no idea if those smells will catch the dogs attentions. I will text my ICE buddy and as him some questions since he has a drug dog Lab for a pet.

Crap. I need to was my Mazda today before I hit the road. I'm sure the front of my car will have plenty of butterflies all over the front due to driving through the King Ranch.
... you have an ice buddy? um.....

ok i am using 3m compound with 3m wool head then a yellow foam head, i then used perfect it polish for dark with 3m gray head, then i used finesse it finishing polish with blue polish pad. but i STILL have swirl marks from the gray pad.

what is wrong, what should i do?

edit: will the 3m paste wax fill in these swirls?

Are you trying to do all your work with only a rotary buffer?

I haven't read through the entire thread yet but has anyone suggested doing the finish polishing with a DA style polisher?

You're having the same type of problem listed in this thread and I posted the solution and not only what to do by the why to do it also.

What am I doing wrong - Holograms after using the rotary buffer

Hang on, I'll read through all the pages to see what's been recommended and by who...

:)

Are you trying to do all your work with only a rotary buffer?

I haven't read through the entire thread yet but has anyone suggested doing the finish polishing with a DA style polisher?

You're having the same type of problem listed in this thread and I posted the solution and not only what to do by the why to do it also.

What am I doing wrong - Holograms after using the rotary buffer

Hang on, I'll read through all the pages to see what's been recommended and by who...

:)

:) yep i have heard some where if not even on here that the rotary makes the holograms and i will need to get a DA to help eliminate or have perfect technique.:props:

sux but i'll be able to fix the issue soon!

Back