DFB's Garage

I'm confident you'll love ECO wash in better conditions, plus I'd love you to try Labocosmetica Idrosave...ANOTHER ONE

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I might have news on that coming soon........................

I'm confident you'll love ECO wash in better conditions, plus I'd love you to try Labocosmetica Idrosave...ANOTHER ONE

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little re-org of two cabinets today.

Starting with my tool cabinet, I wanted to free up space by getting some of the Milwaukee collection hung on the cabinet walls. After a trip to the dreaded green shed for a selection of brackets, I attached these to the cabinet walls to create a more organized layout.

About a month ago, I ordered this Rupes Systainer case for my new polisher.

This purchase was a bit too good to be true actually. When searching for the case, I found one vendor selling it $30 - 40 cheaper than most of the others, so naturally, I ordered it from them. A month later it arrived, or to be precise, I had to pick it up from the post office (that in itself another annoyance). Despite being an Australian retailer, they are clearly drop-shipping products rather than warehousing them here. So, while I saved money, it took 35 days to arrive, which may or may not be an annoyance for you.

These Systainer cases are modular and stackable in a similar concept to Milwaukee Pack Out, just without the huge accessory catalog. I already had one of these which came with my iBrid Nano, which is cleverly designed with a two-layer foam insert to hold the machine, batteries, backing plates, tools and accessories.

I actually thought that Rupes was sending out the new HLR kits with a Systainer, clearly not. The one I bought for the HLR-15 is an empty shell, so I cut up a section of foam trap mat to provide a bed for the polisher and batteries.

https://www.discounttrader.com.au/p...MI5r-nto_ihgMV2atmAh33NAizEAQYASABEgIqd_D_BwE

Next, the bulk chemical storage cabinet. These cabinets require the right-hand door to be open in order to open the left side. The way I originally set this cabinet up had the stuff I used most on the left side, so opening two doors to gain access to one each time was getting old. So, I decided to swap sides.

The blue recycling bin above was completely filled with carboard boxes stored in both cabinets. Please explain to me the logic behind keeping the box the tool came in, you know, just in case? I'm pretty sure I inherited that from my Grandfather. :doh Throwing away all those boxes freed up soooo much space! Don't keep your boxes people.

After too much time messing about, I then got the tools out and washed the Ranger.

Wheels, tyres and wheel arches were cleaned with Brake Buster from my foam cannon. The rest of the car cleaned with the excellent Adam's Mega Foam (the best of their three maintenance soaps), drying aid was P&S Clean Maker (90 % Bead Maker mixed with 10% Dream Maker). The tray and door jambs wiped with ECH20, tyres with OG Tire Dressing, interior wiped down with Auto Finesse Spritz.

I did the box disposal thing a couple of months back, Ryobi boxes, the box my Narva lightbar came in, a couple of security sensor light boxes, and a few I can't remember. Right now I have a Hi-Tec boot box, a jack stands box and some die-cast car storage container boxes to flatten out. So it's not just you.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

Out of interest, what is everyone's opinion on "running in" or "breaking in" a new car/engine?

I was always told not to baby them too much, the engine would otherwise be a slug for the rest of its days. I'm not sure how true that is though.

In the past, I've taken the firm, but fair approach. As in, don't baby it, give it some stick here and there with the odd trip to 5000 rpm, vary the revs, put some mild load on the engine running up some hills. Naturally, all without smashing the rev limiter. In fact, I accidentally had the DSC chime in leaving the dealership with my brand new XR8....................felt guilty about that for weeks. :laughing:

A mechanic we had went to for over 30 years told us to let them get through the first oil change (3k US miles back then) before flooring it (taking to the tach redline). He would also say don't go for a trip where you are going to maintain a set speed for a long time as well. He told us many of the manufacturers had break-in type oil in them coming from the factory. After that first oil change, you can go all-out. I'm not sure if that still applies to the cars of today since a lot of them put synthetic oil in them from the factory.

A mechanic we had went to for over 30 years told us to let them get through the first oil change (3k US miles back then) before flooring it (taking to the tach redline). He would also say don't go for a trip where you are going to maintain a set speed for a long time as well. He told us many of the manufacturers had break-in type oil in them coming from the factory. After that first oil change, you can go all-out. I'm not sure if that still applies to the cars of today since a lot of them put synthetic oil in them from the factory.

I've had service advisors try and persuade me from changing oil at the free 3000km (1800 mile) inspection because of the "running-in oil" Ford uses, then when I insist on an oil change, they then tell me I have to pay for it.................well, der! I'm the customer, take my money and do what I ask!

Typical procedure for me is to be firm but fair up to about 1500 km, change the oil at the first inspection, then its game on. I've done this on countless new cars and never had an oil burner or threw a rod.

Hey Deyon i have P&S Defender and what to ask do you have any tip/tricks on useing it?
Because i saw your review at Detailing Shed.

Thank you

Hey Deyon i have P&S Defender and what to ask do you have any tip/tricks on useing it?

Thank you

Defender is overall pretty easy to use, decent gloss and slickness. I can't comment on longevity as I use it as a drying aid and not a more methodical application. Personally, I prefer Bead Maker or even Clean Maker over Defender, in both instances the gloss and slickness is superior, while something like Paint Gloss is easier to use.

At the last TRCM, reading between the lines, Defender is not selling like P&S thought it would. (P&S presentation from about the 1 hour mark, Defender from about 1 hr 4min)

Thank you

Defender is overall pretty easy to use, decent gloss and slickness. I can't comment on longevity as I use it as a drying aid and not a more methodical application. Personally, I prefer Bead Maker or even Clean Maker over Defender, in both instances the gloss and slickness is superior, while something like Paint Gloss is easier to use.

At the last TRCM, reading between the lines, Defender is not selling like P&S thought it would. (P&S presentation from about the 1 hour mark, Defender from about 1 hr 4min)

Taking the looong way home from the chemist, via my favorite road......................

After the XR8 consumed an absurd amount of fuel, it was time for the Ranger's weekly wash.

Soap of choice today was NV Snow. It's been a while since I washed with this soap, so it was nice to reacquaint myself with this excellent product. Because of the winter road grime on the car, I briefly considered using with Bilt Hamber Touchless as a pre-wash but decided to stick with Snow. Due to the higher pH level of Snow, it had no trouble dissolving the road film prior to the contact wash.

I tend to alternate between "protective" and "non-protective" drying aids, today was the latter. Silke is the only product that I liked from my sample of Stjarnagloss products, but then, it's pretty hard to screw up a basic quick detailer.

Speaking of the Stjarnagloss brand, it seems to have been ignored in Australia. The brand was brought into The Rag Company family a couple of years ago, basically replacing WoWo's when they went belly up. Given TRC's ability to build up brand awareness to the point of hype, its somewhat unusual for local retailers to pass on a TRC distributed brand. I suspect they were burnt by the WoWo's fallout, or that Car Care Products hold the distribution rights and not CarCareCo (the TRC distributor in Australia). Frankly, I don't think we are missing out on much, the products are pretty average and hardly worth the same or more than an equivalent Carpro, Gyeon or Koch Chemie.

I forgot what I tried from them, that's how much they increased me

I forgot what I tried from them, that's how much they increased me

Yeah, nothing I tried really impressed me. Silke is nice, but hardly a challenging sector to nail. Sno foamed well and smelled lovely, but it had no cleaning ability or lubrication and ended up getting my usual bin treatment. Gummi was so underwhelming I actually gave it away. I've been told Forst is worth the bother, but its not offered here.

I have to say, I've found a lot of UK-based detailing brands are the same, very underwhelming. Auto Finesse products were anything from merely ok right down to absolutely terrible. Not a single WoWo's product did a thing for me, in fact they have the honor of being the worst glass cleaner I have ever tried, again, a product category that is hard to get wrong. Showstopper followed my experience with the similar P&S Dream Maker, a streaky mess. Autoglym were once a higher end brand, but they have fallen so far behind that its joke now.

The product I used was a yellow color, maybe a spray on, hose off product

It's funny you literally throw a product away Deyon, imagine the "Bin Treatment" on your YouTube detailing channel, that feature would spread your channel quickly as noone does that

The product I used was a yellow color, maybe a spray on, hose off product

It's funny you literally throw a product away Deyon, imagine the "Bin Treatment" on your YouTube detailing channel, that feature would spread your channel quickly as noone does that

My bin treatment is basically me using a dud product to clean the bins with after they are emptied each week. So in reality, I'm still "using" the product, just not as the manufacturer intended.

For the most part, I don't throw products away unless they are aged, or truly terrible......................a near full gallon bottle of Meguiar's D180 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner went in the bin, what a waste of money and space that was. Some products I will give away, the Gummi I threw into the sale of my old corded polisher.

It was the Wildtrak's turn this week.

Starting with the wheels, I used Brake Buster undiluted on the tyres, followed by foaming the wheel and wheel arch with more Brake Buster. Something I don't mention much, this vehicle has sidesteps finished in black plastic. I clean these between each wheel with my chosen tyre cleaner, used in tandem with the EZ-Detail Go brush.

After the wheels, the car was foamed with Bilt Hamber Touch-less, which was left to dwell while I cleaned the rubber floor mats and emptied my wheel bucket. After rinsing, I used Carpro Reset for the contact wash.

Drying aid today was 3D Bead it Up. This product seems to have more substance to it than something like Bead Maker, it having a slightly thicker consistency and stickier initial feel. Bead it Up contains Si02, which boosts longevity and gloss levels, while being compatible with waxes, sealants and ceramic coatings.

The first thing you notice with Bead it Up is the fruity aroma and its tendency to linger in the garage after use. When spreading the product, it has a grabby feel to it, almost like a spray wax. But after a pass with a secondary towel, the surface becomes ultra slick.

After wiping down the door jambs with DIY Waterless Wash, I moved onto the interior. I always start with a vacuum, attending to the carpets, seats, dashboard and door trims before starting with cleaning chemicals. I will follow that with a general wipe down using an interior cleaner or detailer. Today, I used P&S Xpress in a spray and wipe manner for the majority of the interior, for the leather seats, I teamed that with a soft leather brush. After cleaning the glass, I treated the leather with Geist Leather Conditioner. A spritz of Angelwax Bliss and the interior was done.

Returning to the exterior, I wiped the wheels down with NV Boost v2, dressed the tyres with Duragloss 253, the engine bay wiped down with ECH20.

I enjoyed Bead It Up when I had it, very solid product, their scents are nice too, as far as interior scents

Looks like another old user name has been hijacked.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

It's amazing how driving and making noise with this car drowns out all the other "noise" that life throws at you.

Back