Sanded off clear coat

fjhrmg

Reaction score
Hello all. Glad to have found this forum and appreciate in advance any guidance, suggestions, comments. So I recently decided to take care of what I thought was a clear coat light scratch on a 2013 VW Passat.
Long story short, I used 3000 grit sandpaper and wet sanded a small portion of long scratch to test it out. Well, there is now a dull spot on that area the size of maybe 1 ½ to 2 inches. I guess I rubbed the clear coat off? It’s no longer bright metallic in that area but seems to be the color coat exposed. Is there something out there, or a method besides taking car into body shop to get that small portion back to normal? I tried polishing with Chemical Guy’s All In One Polish+Sealant. I gave it two runs by hand with microfiber towel but no difference at all.
The whole scratch is a long one from middle of driver’s side door to the beginning of rear quarter panel. It is thin, but the area I tried to work I could feel it with my fingernail. Other parts of the same scratch I cannot feel.
These are things I have: DA polisher, orange, black and yellow pads, pad lube/spray, clay bar and lubricant, polish, liquid wax, turtlewax compund and microfiber towels.
Any help on this spot and scratch is greatly appreciated.

Have you tried a more aggressive polish? Post pics?

If the dull spot(s) are simply remaining sand scratches that you have not completely polished out yet, then additional polishing may be the answer.

OTOH, if you have actually gone through the clear coat and exposed the basecoat, you are SOL. Repainting the panel is the only fix in this case.

At this point you really have nothing to lose, so I would continue polishing. You might get lucky.

If the dull spot(s) are simply remaining sand scratches that you have not completely polished out yet, then additional polishing may be the answer.

OTOH, if you have actually gone through the clear coat and exposed the basecoat, you are SOL. Repainting the panel is the only fix in this case.

At this point you really have nothing to lose, so I would continue polishing. You might get lucky.

I will post pic hopefully can tell a little more, but yea I think went through.

I doubt you went through with 3000. You have standing scratches. They only really come out with a very strong orbital that’s firced rotation or a rotary. Rather than screwing around with it and trying different things, and spending money for product left over, run it down to the body shop , they can clear it up in about five minutes.

you can also try about 100 strokes with a towel and some Maguires 105.

Yup, more aggressive product or pad (or both). I've yet to meet an AIO that can tackle sanding scratches.

What is the "polish" you have? I've not used Turtle Wax Compound but i'd be leaning towards something between that AIO and the TW Compound...on the DA and orange pads.

Also, who's yellow pads? Lake Country or Rupes? Big difference in firmness and cut potential

Do you have access to a machine and pads?

He mentioned that he did at the bottom of his post.

I'd try the yellow or orange pads with something like Griot's Fast Correcting Cream.

There are the pics guys. Thanks for replies. What are your thoughts now?

Yup, more aggressive product or pad (or both). I've yet to meet an AIO that can tackle sanding scratches.

What is the "polish" you have? I've not used Turtle Wax Compound but i'd be leaning towards something between that AIO and the TW Compound...on the DA and orange pads.

Yes I have a DA polisher machine 6 speed. Black, yellow and orange pads.

Do you have anything other than TW compound and Chem Guys AIO?

I'm with Glen thinking you haven't run it down to the base color coat layer with 3000 unless you wetsanded for a loooong time. I'm thinking you're looking at the cloudiness created by sanding the clear layer.

I'd be cranking that DA up to 6 and work your AIO with an orange pad and with slow machine movement speed work and work that cloudy spot.

Now, Menzerna 400, Griots Fast Correcting or Sonax CutMax might work better. You can finish it with CG AIO.

Also, who's yellow pads? Lake Country or Rupes? Big difference in firmness and cut potential

HOnestly dont know. GOt them on ebay. It dont state a specific brand. Only says 6 inch buffing sponge polishing pad for waxing and polishing.

Big time

Do you have anything other than TW compound and Chem Guys AIO?

I'm with Glen thinking you haven't run it down to the base color coat layer with 3000 unless you wetsanded for a loooong time. I'm thinking you're looking at the cloudiness created by sanding the clear layer.

I'd be cranking that DA up to 6 and work your AIO with an orange pad and with slow machine movement speed work and work that cloudy spot.

Now, Menzerna 400, Griots Fast Correcting or Sonax CutMax might work better. You can finish it with CG AIO.

I wet sanded for maybe 20 to 30 , 40 minutes tops. The water I used had some dish soap mixed with it.

You sanded one spot for 20-40 minutes? If I sand and area for more than 10 seconds I get nervous

Here's the best of the two pictures you posted.

73420d1620943412-sanded-off-clear-coat-car-pic-mod-1-jp-jpg

Two things,

1: You either have not removed your sanding marks and that's why the area looks dull or still sanded.

2: You have sanded and also buffed through the clearcoat and when you do this - the basecoat is dull.

Let's hope you're still in the range of #1

You need a compound and cutting pad. Cutting pad can be foam or fiber.

:)

And if you’re pulling color onto your pad, stop as that means you’re into the base color.

Where are you located? Maybe a fellow forum member can help with product or advice.

Back