Black 2008 Corvette Z06 Paint looks etched!!! Need advice please!

Chevyfanaddict

Sep 25, 2009
Hey all, so i just traded my pristine Silver 2008 Z06 in for a Black 2008 Z06 and im getting ready to do a full paint correction on the new car cause its kinda hammered! The car only has 20k miles on it but it pretty obvious somebody didnt know how to care far a black car and i bought it knowing it needed help. I just got done with a wash and I completely clayed the entire car preparing for next weekend when i begin my attack.

I began to inspect the condition of the paint and all the stuff i thought was hard water spots actually appears to be etched into the paint and now im a little worried about not being able to get it out! I tried to photograph it but my camera wouldnt pick it up very well.

If you look around the reflection of the light and see all those spots, those are the "etchings". Keep in mind this is AFTER the car has been clayed

And this is the best pic i could get of what just one of the etchings looks like.

My original plan was to start out using my Griots 6" DA with M105 on Orange LC pads then go to M205 on white LC pads then a final polish with PO85RD on black LC pads. I havent done a test spot yet cause i really wanted to wait until I was ready to tackle the whole car. Have any of you seen or dealt with this before and whats your reccomendation?

General condition of the paint all around

Those are etched for sure may need sanding,is that something you are lacking in that dept if so,let a seasoned detailer remove them for you.

i have those type of etchings on my 14' wrx.. i have no idea where they came from.. and speculating it was around christmas a year ago.. what I'm lost about, it does not come out with sanding. so mine were really deep. but yours look better like they'd come off..

side note - mine was just all on horizontal panels (hood roof and trunk. ) :( best of luck to you!

Just curious why you would trade for the same exact car but worse condition? Color?

I just wanted a black one, simple as that. And the only thing in worse condition is the condition of the paint which im confident that I can bring back to like new except im just not sure what to do with the etchings.

i have those type of etchings on my 14' wrx.. i have no idea where they came from.. and speculating it was around christmas a year ago.. what I'm lost about, it does not come out with sanding. so mine were really deep. but yours look better like they'd come off..

side note - mine was just all on horizontal panels (hood roof and trunk. ) :( best of luck to you!

Yep its only on horizontal panels like the roof amd decklid like you said. Like something nasty got on there and sat and ate the paint.

Most GM black is pretty hard, not the most user friendly paint to work with. I recommend getting a Flex and some Tuf Buf wool pads to correct the car. That might help you avoid wet sanding the water spots out. Good luck.

I just wanted a black one, simple as that. And the only thing in worse condition is the condition of the paint which im confident that I can bring back to like new except im just not sure what to do with the etchings.

Yep its only on horizontal panels like the roof amd decklid like you said. Like something nasty got on there and sat and ate the paint.
yup :( exactly what happened to me.. the trunk was traded and the current owner got that fixed up (repaint) - he didn't want to deal with a detailer and just wanted it done. for my roof and hood... might just get the roof wrapped gloss black or brushed metal , and hood wrapped partially so it looks like a design rather than me covering up! lol!