Does Sonax Dashboard Cleaner Have UV Protection??

WRAPT C5Z06

Reaction score
I called Sonax USA and the guy told be, "great question, but I don't know if it has UV protection." It's labeled as a cleaner, so I'd think the UV protection would be minimal at best. Anyone know for sure? I've tried *many* UV interior protectants and I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather not use anything. They all look artificial, some worse than others. Sonax DC ever so slightly changes the look, which I like. However, if it's not leaving any UV protection behind, I might as well use OPC to clean the interior.

interesting that you bring this topic up. This will not help with your question (for that i'm sorry I dont have any input), but here is my take on it.

I have a 03 jeep grand cherokee that I bought from the company I work for. Before I owned it, my father did.

This vehicle has never seen a single interior product in its lifetime. And lived outdoors in the sun its entire life. Has never seen shade on purpose or a garage. I gave the interior a full detail last spring , and trust me it was dirty.

I basically used a light mixture of APC on the entire interior and it came out spotless. and there was ZERO visual degradation to the dashboard or any interior vinyl/plastic pieces.

After this experience I really began to question the need for UV interior dressings on modern cars. Ive come to the conclusion that modern chemistry and manufacturing have really come a long way. And most "quality" cars are very resistant to the harsh conditions that can be thrown at them.

Since I have really began to not worry so much about protecting the interior of my cars as much as I used to. And now I use more and more 1 step products for leather and plastic as well. Instead of dedicated conditioners and cleaners.

I liked the sonax dashboard cleaner very much though. :) I have found megs quick interior detailer a bit easier to use on a wider range or surfaces.

sorry for steering off the specific topic mark. lol :)

interesting that you bring this topic up. This will not help with your question (for that i'm sorry I dont have any input), but here is my take on it.

I have a 03 jeep grand cherokee that I bought from the company I work for. Before I owned it, my father did.

This vehicle has never seen a single interior product in its lifetime. And lived outdoors in the sun its entire life. Has never seen shade on purpose or a garage. I gave the interior a full detail last spring , and trust me it was dirty.

I basically used a light mixture of APC on the entire interior and it came out spotless. and there was ZERO visual degradation to the dashboard or any interior vinyl/plastic pieces.

After this experience I really began to question the need for UV interior dressings on modern cars. Ive come to the conclusion that modern chemistry and manufacturing have really come a long way. And most "quality" cars are very resistant to the harsh conditions that can be thrown at them.

Since I have really began to not worry so much about protecting the interior of my cars as much as I used to. And now I use more and more 1 step products for leather and plastic as well. Instead of dedicated conditioners and cleaners.

I liked the sonax dashboard cleaner very much though. :) I have found megs quick interior detailer a bit easier to use on a wider range or surfaces.

sorry for steering off the specific topic mark. lol :)
Very interesting read!!! :props:

When I called Sonax, even though the guy didn't know, he still asked me, "doesn't your car have windows with UV protection?" That got me thinking along the same line as you. Does UV protection really need to be *added* to modern cars? If anything, all these interior dressings would be more for looks than anything. I just went back and re-applied sonax dashboard cleaner to all my interior panels. It actually does darken the color a tad while leaving a clean look. I really like it! I've used Meg's quick interior detailer, and I think it strictly cleans, doesn't darken or change the color at all.

Very interesting read!!! :props:

When I called Sonax, even though the guy didn't know, he still asked me, "doesn't your car have windows with UV protection?" That got me thinking along the same line as you. Does UV protection really need to be *added* to modern cars? If anything, all these interior dressings would be more for looks than anything. I just went back and re-applied sonax dashboard cleaner to all my interior panels. It actually does darken the color a tad while leaving a clean look. I really like it! I've used Meg's quick interior detailer, and I think it strictly cleans, doesn't darken or change the color at all.
I doubt the sun can really damage the plastic and vinyl interior in a new car. Unless it sits outdoors in Arizona everyday without being moved with no protection...Leather is a different story. It gets touched, rubbed against, sweated on and abraded. Who touches the dashboard?
Megs Interior QD, does have some protection properties too it. It's very little, but the company states it there. I like the smell, price and matte finish. Seems like the perfect all in one for quick turnaround or for the lazy.

I doubt the sun can really damage the plastic and vinyl interior in a new car. Unless it sits outdoors in Arizona everyday without being moved with no protection...

Don't count on it, I have seen a few newer cars right here in Ohio with dashes damaged by the sun.

I I've tried *many* UV interior protectants and I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather not use anything.

UV protection is basically a hyped myth by certain chemical companies to sell their products. No such thing. Rely on your glass and not on a detail chemical to protect your interior from UV rays. Any "protection" a product claims is only measured in short time frames just like sun tan lotion.

UV protection is basically a hyped myth by certain chemical companies to sell their products. No such thing. Rely on your glass and not on a detail chemical to protect your interior from UV rays. Any "protection" a product claims is only measured in short time frames just like sun tan lotion.
Then what causes vehicle's dash boards to rot away and fade? I have seen plenty of interiors start off black and turn grey after not being taken care of.

but you just said that glass protects it from the sun. And why does a vehicle that is cared for not have these problems? I find your original post hard to believe at best.

It does, but the sun (the last time I checked) is pretty powerful. Much more powerful than glass and protectants.

It does, but the sun (the last time I checked) is pretty powerful. Much more powerful than glass and protectants.
I like how you back up your side of the discussion by being a smart ass. You would probably get farther by using facts instead of sarcasm.

So you are saying nothing will protect the dash and they will all fade over time no matter what? My father has an all original 70 Chevelle that would say otherwise

I will keep using fake snake oil protectants on my interiors, as I have for many years, since it works for me. I would advise most others to do the same, to me it's not even worth the risk of ruining your interior, but hey, thats just me.

To reiterate what the second poster stated, I really think that materials have improved not just in appearance but longevity. Do I think that interiors can eventually fade/crack from the sun? Sure, but I do believe that interior materials are much better than before to deal with it. Add UV protected windows (tint) and the protection is much better. Although, my 2001 GMC Sonoma's dash pieces (speaker grills, center dashboard vent are starting to become brittle. This may just be cheaper parts rather than UV degradation that has contributed to this. I remember seeing someone else post that all he uses to clean his interiors is ONR (probably in QD ratio) with no ill effects.

I like how you back up your side of the discussion by being a smart ass. You would probably get farther by using facts instead of sarcasm.

Seeing that you are the bearer of proof, provide me documented proof(not just your opinion) of a detail product that will offer long term protection from the sun.

So you are saying nothing will protect the dash and they will all fade over time no matter what? My father has an all original 70 Chevelle that would say otherwise

I didn't say anything about older cars as the material used in back then is totally different than modern vehicles. Unless you're going to lie, I bet your Dad's 40 year old car doesn't sit out in the sun much? (I'd love to see a pic of it btw) There's lots of cars that old and older that have nearly perfect dashes that haven't had anything on them. I would be willing to say that they haven't been exposed to alot of sun either.

[/B]
Seeing that you are the bearer of proof, provide me documented proof(not just your opinion) of a detail product that will offer long term protection from the sun.

I have just as much documented proof as you do. I do however have plenty of experience say a protected dash won't fade, and SOME dashes that aren't protected will. Based on that fact, I choose to give my interior the most protection I can.
[/B]
I didn't say anything about older cars as the material used in back then is totally different than modern vehicles. Unless you're going to lie, I bet your Dad's 40 year old car doesn't sit out in the sun much? (I'd love to see a pic of it btw) There's lots of cars that old and older that have nearly perfect dashes that haven't had anything on them. I would be willing to say that they haven't been exposed to alot of sun either.
You did not say anything about what kind of car or the age of the car. You made a blanket statement.

I have just as much documented proof as you do. I do however have plenty of experience say a protected dash won't fade, and SOME dashes that aren't protected will. Based on that fact, I choose to give my interior the most protection I can.

I guess you have more proof than the chemical companies? I've talked to multiple resellers, manufactures and chemists and so far there isn't any proof to back up that these claimed products offer any long term protection. In the meantime, keep slathering it on. :dblthumb2:

I guess you have more proof than the chemical companies? I've talked to multiple resellers, manufactures and chemists and so far there isn't any proof to back up that these claimed products offer any long term protection. In the meantime, keep slathering it on. :dblthumb2:
I just said I don't have proof, so good reading skills there. I will keep applying interior dressings. They add protection, and add to the look of my interior, and the interiors of my customers.

In the meantime keep going around thinking you know it all :dblthumb2:

I've talked to multiple resellers, manufactures and chemists and so far there isn't any proof to back up that these claimed products offer any long term protection.

Yeah "long term protection" but what about short term? Are you saying that even if you keep putting a protectant on that its doing anything?

Also what is considered long term?

Back