After MF cutting disc/M105, should I use.......

WRAPT C5Z06

Reaction score
the MF finishing disc with M205, or a LC constant pressure white polishing pad with M205? This would be on my Vette with a very hard clear coat.

I've used both methods many times. I personally think the white foam pad does a better job with 205.

I find the MF finishing pad to be a bit more on the gentle side.

Something I've done in the past too...is use an orange pad, or the MF cutting pad to really put some power behind the polish. But every time I've done that...I've always followed up with the rotary, soft finishing pad, and some fine polish.

I've actually gotten some pretty dramatic results doing this. Granted, the times I've done this...compounding was not done. It was more for some slight swirling on hard clear that was already in pretty good shape. So, it may not be necessary in your case. But, it's something to try if you're not satisfied with the results you're getting. We all know how those vettes can be, ha.

Thanks guys. I have no clue what speed(griot's) to use with M205/white foam on a hard clear coat?

Thanks guys. I have no clue what speed(griot's) to use with M205/white foam on a hard clear cot?

The Griots I'm not sure about. But, I always polish at speed 5 with the PC with the occasional kick into 6 to pull out a defect. Don't know if that helps you at all though. I don't know how the speeds compare on both machines. I do know the Griots is more powerful...so I'd guess it would be step down from the PC.

The Griots I'm not sure about. But, I always polish at speed 5 with the PC with the occasional kick into 6 to pull out a defect. Don't know if that helps you at all though. I don't know how the speeds compare on both machines. I do know the Griots is more powerful...so I'd guess it would be step down from the PC.
Speed 5 for compounding, polishing, and finishing? Just want to be clear..

Last edited:
We all know how those vettes can be, ha.

All I can say is it's lucky for him it's a Silver 'vette. With a darker color he'd be bashing his head against a wall.... kinda like I'll be doing with the lemans blue C5 I've got coming up soon.

Why am I not surprised your avoiding using D301 with the MF finishing disc... Seems almost everybody does that uses the MF correction system. frankly it works beautifully for what it was designed. Seems Megs got it 1/2 right based on reaction from the forums I've read.

Speed 5 for compounding, polishing, and finishing? Just want to be clear..

Hey Mark,

It's funny that speed 5 seems to be the optimum speed for compounding and polishing on these dual action machines. Some of what Mike Phillips has written seems to confirm these setting as well...

Hey Mark,

It's funny that speed 5 seems to be the optimum speed for compounding and polishing on these dual action machines. Some of what Mike Phillips has written seems to confirm these setting as well...

Yep I agree speed 5 and even 6 works for me generally too.

Thanks guys. I have no clue what speed(griot's) to use with M205/white foam on a hard clear coat?
Just wondering, is 205 on white pad usually your last polish step or do you refine further with something else?

Just wondering, is 205 on white pad usually your last polish step or do you refine further with something else?
I was using P085RD yesterday on a black pad and came across some superficial scratches that the 85rd couldn't get. They polished out very nicely using M205 on a black finishing pad. I don't know if I'd want to use that as SOP but it seems to be way to finish off the 205.

My car car is silver, so I find zero need to refine past 205. I could actually get away with just M105 and the MF disc.

My car car is silver, so I find zero need to refine past 205. I could actually get away with just M105 and the MF disc.
How often do you machine polish on the vette? If often, are you concerned about thinning your clear coat?

Maybe Mike (Phillips) will chime in but I thought he said to compound on 5-6 and to polish\wax on 3-4. There is no benefit to fast speeds since you are basically just applying product and not really doing any "work". This may be wrong since 205 is a very mild abrasive thus it is doing some "work".

Back