Let's talk Quick Detailers and Streaking...

WRAPT C5Z06

Reaction score
I've haven't used a ton off QD's, but I've recently tried a few, because I want some gloss after a wash. I currently use a QD(not sold by AG), and when the car is dry, I spray a panel, wipe, flip the towel and buff. I get no streaking. If I didn't flip and buff, there would naturally be streaks. Once the towel becomes soiled with product, it will naturally streak. So, what do you all define as streaking with a QD?

FYI, I only use a QD on a freshly washed car.

I define streaking as when the quick detailer I apply does not buff off fully, therefore leaving streaks of product. I have found Finish Kare 425 to be streaking if you use too much product, but I have found Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray to never streak.

Hope I answered your question. :xyxthumbs:

Streaking is usually using too much. If you want gloss on a clean finish try Aquawax. Same effort, better result and cheaper than most "QDs"

If your wanting gloss why not give it a little protection and try xmt 360 spray wax it's good stuff

I define streaking as when the quick detailer I apply does not buff off fully, therefore leaving streaks of product. I have found Finish Kare 425 to be streaking if you use too much product, but I have found Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray to never streak.

Hope I answered your question. :xyxthumbs:

Happens with me with FK425 as well - it's like it flash-dries and leaves darker spots. The folks at AG suggested diluting it 1:1, which has helped some. In my case it definitely wasn't too much product - does it even if you spritz the towel and wipe..it's like it dries as soon as it hits the paint, leaving darker spots....

I *really* miss Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer - it was my favorite, great shine, slick, never streaked. I have a tiny bit left and use it sparingly, every once in a while.

Mark, why not just use a gloss enhancing shampoo?

If you are experiencing streaking it is usually from using to much product. My 2 favorite are FK#425 and DGAW..

One tip I have for 425 if you are getting streaking is to cut it 1:1 with distilled water. This will help.

Have you tried follow up with Megs Ultimate Quick wax?

Sometimes 425 streaks although I cant really figure out the conditions. At times I can spray it down heavy and no streaks, other rare times I cant buff it to a nice finish no matter what I do. It must have something to do with temp and/or humidity, there is some situations it doesent like.

Happens with me with FK425 as well - it's like it flash-dries and leaves darker spots. The folks at AG suggested diluting it 1:1, which has helped some. In my case it definitely wasn't too much product - does it even if you spritz the towel and wipe..it's like it dries as soon as it hits the paint, leaving darker spots....

One tip I have for 425 if you are getting streaking is to cut it 1:1 with distilled water. This will help.

I'll have to try it cut 1:1. Thanks guys.

As with most detailing products, less is more. The more you apply, the more it takes to remove it and increases the chances of undesirable results.

FK425 is slick as hell though, and looks great when it finishes well. I have FK425 over FK1000p on my daily driver. When I took it in for a service last week the service manager who checked the mileage came back and said "What the heck do you wax your car with? When I went to close the door it is so slick my hand just slid off it!"

I define streaking as:

a) QD product that does not cleanly wipe off or leaves residue behind;
b) after a single (maximum 2) pass with the QD applicator I'm using that has a reasonable amount of product on it;
c) when used at the concentration recommended by the manufacturer.

Some products like OCW or WGDGSS flash off quickly and do not need buffing. They've likely been designed with some drying agents to perform that way.

Some products like Meg's UQD streak like a drunken frat boy at the game (for me at least); these products need a dry MF towel to wipe clean, and sometimes you have to use a little bit more effort which induces marring on my soft paint =(

If users need to cut a product with water to make it streak less, then what was the manufacturer's rationale for having it at a less than optimum concentration?

If users need to cut a product with water to make it streak less, then what was the manufacturer's rationale for having it at a less than optimum concentration?

When I spoke with the folks at AG about my streaking problems with FK425, they indicated that it was known to sometimes not play well well with some finishes, thus the suggestion to dilute it 1:1.

I suspect the manufacturer makes it for the 95% plus of the situations, and I happened to get stuck in that other 5%.

FWIW, it doesn't seem to matter what LSP I've used it with on the Monaco Blue BMW paint, it's streaked (very inconsistently) with UPP, WDGPS, SSII, and PS100. But when it doesn't streak, it's awesome - or I would have thrown it out by now.

I've haven't used a ton off QD's, but I've recently tried a few, because I want some gloss after a wash. I currently use a QD(not sold by AG), and when the car is dry, I spray a panel, wipe, flip the towel and buff. I get no streaking. If I didn't flip and buff, there would naturally be streaks. Once the towel becomes soiled with product, it will naturally streak. So, what do you all define as streaking with a QD?

FYI, I only use a QD on a freshly washed car.

With Megs last touch I noticed streaking if I use to much or in cold weather. When I cut it 1 to 1 it has not streaked. I just tried UWWP and really like it, cleaned really well, slick and a little goes a long way, plus it is so versatile.

For QD and drying aid I will be using UWWP

For spray wax I use Megs Synthetic Xpress and DG AW

I use an ONR mixture for QD. Works fine for me. No streaks.

Back