PDA

View Full Version : Why do i constantly get Holograms when polishing?

Rez90
02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I have to assume it's something in my technique. I typically use a good amount of pressure and try to get 5 or so passes on each section. For some reason though...on most dark paints...i always end up with holograms and sometimes have to do the lighter polishing step 2-3 times to get them out.

little help?

Flannigan
02-24-2012, 10:49 AM
What tool, products, and pads are you using?

Rez90
02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
What tool, products, and pads are you using?

Typically it's with any heavier pad/compound. I'm using a flex 3401. For example i last weekend i used my flex with SIP on a Cyan HT pad and a yellow B&S pad and got holograms from both on a black lambo. They came out later with my next step...but i was sweating for a minute...

StephenK
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
just from what you have said you may be using to much pressure and over working the product. and on dark color cars unless using a finishing polish there is more than likely gonna be a 2nd step needed in most cases

Kristopher1129
02-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Typically it's with any heavier pad/compound. I'm using a flex 3401. For example i last weekend i used my flex with SIP on a Cyan HT pad and a yellow B&S pad and got holograms from both on a black lambo. They came out later with my next step...but i was sweating for a minute...

It's pretty common to have holograms or some sort of haze following compound. If you're getting holograms after polishing...that's a different story.

You should be cleaning up any holograms (if any) during the polishing stage. If you are getting holograms after polishing...I would narrow it down to your pad, speed, or pressure. I find it hard to believe your polish of choice would be the cause.

Every vehicles paint is different. If you are not running test spots before going to town on the whole car...you really should. Especially on something as expensive as a Lambo. You don't want to do the whole vehicle, then find out later your approach didn't work out as hoped. :dblthumb2:

If you really want to be safe, go with a recommended combo like Megs MF system. I personally don't care much for the second step of the MF system. Not a fan of the Finish Wax...but, it's fool proof, and will keep your sweats to a minimum, ha.

Mike Phillips
02-24-2012, 11:06 AM
just from what you have said you may be using to much pressure and over working the product. and on dark color cars unless using a finishing polish there is more than likely gonna be a 2nd step needed in most cases

I strongly agree...

Actually, you're going to want to use a finishing pad and a finishing polish on ANY color of car if you want to sincerely leave a pro-quality finish.

It's just dark colored cars show defects easier to your eyes but that doesn't mean you're not leaving marring on light colored cars, it's just harder to detect visually.

:)

Mike Phillips
02-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Keep in mind paint systems are different... I wrote the below article specific to rotary buffers but the same principals apply to working with any machine...

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43684-hologram-free-rotary-buffer.html)

:)

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
02-24-2012, 11:09 AM
The Flex 3401 can leave holograms? I've used mine many times on many paints...i've left haze from compounding...thats pretty normal...but holograms?

Flannigan
02-24-2012, 11:25 AM
The Flex 3401 can leave holograms? I've used mine many times on many paints...i've left haze from compounding...thats pretty normal...but holograms?
Any machine can leave holograms.

I agree with some other posters, sounds like either too much presure or overworking products to me.

Mike Phillips
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM

My opinion is that it leaves marring or micro-marring or haze, holograms is more specific to the scratch or swirl pattern left by a pad rotating against the paint when using a rotary buffer.

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls and Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28443-difference-between-rotary-buffer-swirls-cobweb-swirls-micro-marring.html)

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22234-tracers-rids-pigtails-cobweb-swirls-rotary-buffer-swirls-holograms-water-spots-bird-droping-etchings-micro-marring.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
My opinion is that it leaves marring or micro-marring or haze, holograms is more specific to the scratch or swirl pattern left by a pad rotating against the paint when using a rotary buffer.

The difference between Rotary Buffer Swirls, Cobweb Swirls and Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28443-difference-between-rotary-buffer-swirls-cobweb-swirls-micro-marring.html)

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22234-tracers-rids-pigtails-cobweb-swirls-rotary-buffer-swirls-holograms-water-spots-bird-droping-etchings-micro-marring.html)

:xyxthumbs:

My point exactly. The flex oscillates and plus even at speed 6 only turned 300some times a minute....which is just over 1/2 of what the slowest speed on the makita would turn....i dont think that would generate enough heat for holograms...but marring is definitely something i've come across. I've found on some newer paint, in the right light, even my 'go to' 205 on a polishing pad left light haze...i had to kick down to a finishing pad and a fine polish like PO85 RD to get it crystal clear.