DIY Pad Washer

Just ordered everything i needed for online pickup at my Lowes after work. If anyone is interested, here are the part numbers, you can type them into the lowes website and go the product, add to your cart and pay and pick it up!
These are in order of the screen shots, fyi my cost was like $33 in parts for the washer.

John

If looks could kill you will die tonight after work. Trust me.

Just ordered everything i needed for online pickup at my Lowes after work. If anyone is interested, here are the part numbers, you can type them into the lowes website and go the product, add to your cart and pay and pick it up!
These are in order of the screen shots, fyi my cost was like $33 in parts for the washer.

John

Nice work man! :xyxthumbs:

If looks could kill you will die tonight after work. Trust me.

Uhhh, what? lol

I assembled this beast on Saturday and made one small change. I have not used the unit yet but thought I would share my change in case someone else jumps up and down and says no no no.

Step 8 has both cut ends of the slip TEE facing up. You will notice by doing this it does not allow all 4 "plungers" to go down to the same level. I swapped one I think the bottom one which allows each plunger to go down the same amount. In the photo you will notice there is a gap between one of the sets and the base:

20140309_210312.jpg

By flipping one set all ends rest firmly on the base.

Nice work man! :xyxthumbs:

Uhhh, what? lol

I've ordered 10+ parts totaling $25 before and it was a nightmare. They acted like I stole the parts. I guess there's something about having to pick out a customers items when it's a lot of things. Idk. It's just always a problem in my experience

LOL, i had no problems with the pickup at my place. I was buying other things and had no clue what to do, I just asked the patio lady what to do, she asked my name and walked back to "somewhere" and wheeled out my cart. I of course did not take the time to confirm everything and ended up with one slip cap being a 1.5" cap instead of 1.25". Picked up some new T8 bulbs and headed home!

Excited to try this myself. Thanks for posting this DIY project.

I assembled this beast on Saturday and made one small change. I have not used the unit yet but thought I would share my change in case someone else jumps up and down and says no no no.

Step 8 has both cut ends of the slip TEE facing up. You will notice by doing this it does not allow all 4 "plungers" to go down to the same level. I swapped one I think the bottom one which allows each plunger to go down the same amount. In the photo you will notice there is a gap between one of the sets and the base:

By flipping one set all ends rest firmly on the base.

Yeah I know, I screwed up that step. I actually corrected it here:

Sooo I made a mistake.
I went to use my pad washer for the first time today, and the grit guard was all wobbly when I pushed down.
Well it turns out I messed up one of the horizontal braces.
Don't worry, all of the parts and cutting are still the same!

The Fix:
All you have to do is flip over the first horizontal brace when attaching it to the vertical pipes.
So for the first horizontal brace, have the snap tees positioned so that the cut part faces down.
This way the caps will all descend to the same height before stopping.

After the fix, it should look like this: :checkit:

20140311_1903281.jpg
20140311_1903351.jpg

20140311_190343.jpg

Sorry for the fudge up! :pc7424:

I've ordered 10+ parts totaling $25 before and it was a nightmare. They acted like I stole the parts. I guess there's something about having to pick out a customers items when it's a lot of things. Idk. It's just always a problem in my experience

Lol they were probably just pissed they had to go find your stuff.

Outstanding! Buy these guy's a Beer and Steak.
Grit Guard and some other things should arrive tomorrow.
I wanted to share something in an effort to maybe help someone else. When buying the parts neither box store near me or within 30 miles had the 3/4" CPVC Adapter piece.
I bought (4) 3/4" Plugs and drilled them through to
1/2" inch. Springs register in there sweet! Anxious to try' er
out.

tn_IMG_20140508_072719_910.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This is really cool ! I am very impressed. I could never make something like this. But I really respect people that can. Thank you for the pictures and the directions. I guess I'll just have to keep washing my pads by hand.

I own one and to be honest it stills splashes everywhere while I am cleaning it

I found by cutting a hole in a regular lid then cutting in half it reduces splashing. I leave one side snapped on, then put the pad in the hole, snap other side on and go to town.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Outstanding! Buy these guy's a Beer and Steak.
Grit Guard and some other things should arrive tomorrow.
I wanted to share something in an effort to maybe help someone else. When buying the parts neither box store near me or within 30 miles had the 3/4" CPVC Adapter piece.
I bought (4) 3/4" Plugs and drilled them through to
1/2" inch. Springs register in there sweet! Anxious to try' er
out.

tn_IMG_20140508_072719_910.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

That's a great idea! I bet it works better too. As soon as I saw the pic I wanted to know what part you used because you have a much better ledge for holding the springs in place. I bet you didn't even have to bend the ends to keep it from falling in.

:buffing:

Wow your lid looks a LOT better! How did you do it? Is that still made out of a bucket lid? It looks like you turned one upside down, which looks a lot better. It's a much cleaner look. What did you use to cut it? The cuts look really clean too.

I like that you made the one side static. Mine is way too flimsy having both sides move.

But what is that you used to make the hinge?! That looks awesome man. You gotta give details! I never even use the lid I made because I hate it lol.

I was chicken at first to post pics after I finished. *Marshalls...knock,knock.

The spring seat piece: HD #612758 3/4" Plug (4) $0.97 ea. ouch
But I was all in.

*The Lid: I wanted to mimic the original.
Just a Lowes cheapie. #211809 $1.28
I cut the center out at the outer most ring, then cut it in half.
I cut the outer 'Lip' off (part that locks onto bucket lip) and trimmed each till they lined up and fit the recess of the cut out Gamma Lid.
Cutting out that Gamma Lid is the hardest part of the whole build. You end up buying (2) so you can close'r up if you choose to. HD #5GAMMA6 $7.25 ea.

The rest is 'Junk' drawer and hardware. 10/24 screws, nuts
and flat washers. Wing nut was junk drawer. Spring I ripped out of a Radio Shack single 'C' Battery Holder.
The hogged out Gamma Lid has ribbing on the under side so screw placement is fiddly.
Gott'a be damn careful!! some of the plastic cuts easily, some
doesn't. Hope I helped. Let me know.

aren't you guys gonna try an aquarium pump? mine's still working. it doesn't have a lid since there's no splashing outside the bucket.

Thanks to the OP, I made my pad washer today and it came out great!! I even placed my order at Lowes for store pickup and when I got there she said she had fun picking it and smiled. I must of caught someone who actually liked their job, lol

OK, I've seen these listed, but what does it do that is so different from a manual pad washing method.

I just place my pads in the bathroom sink after cleaning it to a shine, then add either Woolite or Pinnacle cleaning product to luke warm water and press down on my pad.

Back