Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Phillips
  • Start date Start date
I'm going to put this hear because it seems to be an appropriate spot. Please move if I am wrong. How would BF One step work with Lake Country Microfiber Polishing pads?

How would BF One step work with Lake Country Microfiber Polishing pads?

It will work great.

BUT - if you're working on soft paint the FIBERS of the microfiber pads will scratch the paint. I call this,

Pad Haze

Another word if using any type of orbital polisher, (free spinning or gear-driven), would be micro-marring.

And if using any type of fiber pad on a rotary - this scratch pattern is called holograms.

What you're supposed to do before buffing out an entire car is called..... drum roll......

TEST SPOT

Do a Test Spot, this will tell show you the results from the pad, product, tool and your technique. If it looks GREAT - then repeat the Test Spot process over the rest of the car. If it looks like cr*p - then test something else.

Great question!

:)

It will work great.

What you're supposed to do before buffing out an entire car is called..... drum roll......

TEST SPOT

Do a Test Spot, this will tell show you the results from the pad, product, tool and your technique. If it looks GREAT - then repeat the Test Spot process over the rest of the car. If it looks like cr*p - then test something else.

Great question!

Always have to do this!!!

I have a FLEX CBEAST and a porter cable. Looking at LC microfiber polishing pad with BLACKFIRE One Step combination to do a 30' travel trailer in the spring. I had a typo when ordering pads a while back. Wanted 1 pad to try ended up with 10...

to do a 30' travel trailer in the spring.

What is the surface for this travel trailer?

Paint?
Gelcoat?
Something else?

If it's gel-coat you can probably get always with microfiber pads.

But like paint - do a Test Spot.

That's a lot of real-estate to have to do over if you don't get it right the first time.

What is the surface for this travel trailer?

Paint?
Gelcoat?
Something else?

If it's gel-coat you can probably get always with microfiber pads.

But like paint - do a Test Spot.

That's a lot of real-estate to have to do over if you don't get it right the first time.

It is painted Fiberglass. I will have to do probably 4 test spots (one for each side) to be on the safe side because the oxidation level varies.

It is painted Fiberglass. I will have to do probably 4 test spots (one for each side) to be on the safe side because the oxidation level varies.

If the paint is truly oxidized (chalky/powdery looking) you might consider giving it the "Comet Cleanser" treatment before attempting to polish with the AIO. That will remove most of the dead paint before you ever put your pad to the paint and will help your pad go much farther as the pad will not get so gummed/loaded up as quickly.

As already stated... if you go this route be sure to do a test spot. One other suggestion - do the test spot in one of the worse areas. If your process works there it will work for the entire vehicle.

It is painted Fiberglass.

Then treat like paint. The underlying substrate has not effect on your polishing process except for heat retention and heat dissipation. Fiberglass tends to hold heat but this won't or shouldn't be a factor if using any type or brand or orbital.

Because you say it's oxidized - this would likely mean SINGLE STAGE paint.

Is it white? If so - white single stage paint tends to be the hardest paint there is to work on. I explain why in post #4 here,

Barn Find - 1950 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe Convertible - Extreme Paint Correction

If the paint is truly oxidized (chalky/powdery looking) you might consider giving it the "Comet Cleanser" treatment before attempting to polish with the AIO. That will remove most of the dead paint before you ever put your pad to the paint and will help your pad go much farther as the pad will not get so gummed/loaded up as quickly.

Agree.

Here's how to use the Comet Technique

The COMET Technique by Mike Phillips - 1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

The COMET Technique for oxidized single stage paint

1965_Caddy_018.JPG

Thanks for the Help!!! When the snow is gone here the work begins.

Hi Mike I applied BF one step one time about 2 months ago....my machine....and I am happy using....can I use it like every 2 months

Hi Mike I applied BF one step one time about 2 months ago....my machine....and I am happy using....

can I use it like every 2 months

For sure. Just use a foam "polishing" pad.

There shouldn't be any reason to have to get aggressive.

:cheers:

Read thru alot of this post. I used to be a HD speed fan. I loved the feel of the vehicle although it's look was somewhat plastic like. Obviously doesn't last long but it's a quick product to apply. Then I got hooked on the McKee's 360 toped with their paint sealant. Pretty awesome combo there. Longer lasting that the speed and definitely removed more defects than the Speed. I was in the market for a new buffer as I only had a 20yr old porter cable that I run small pads on and a HF D/A polisher that is ok (got it as a gift) but wasn't quite up to the level I wanted. Ended up getting the Griots G9 Blackfire One step kit. I just really wanted the micro fibers and pads for the buffer. But I have two cars that are both white daily drivers so I'm thinking the Blackfire might just get some use. My mom just got a Tesla model y in white and took it across the state for a trip without any real protection on it. I'm figuring the blackfire should have enough bite to clear it all up, just a mere 1000 miles on the car so far. I might top it with beadmaker or maybe some Adams spray graphene just to add a little more pop.

probably stupid question but is the Blackfire One Step just a reformulated Black fire AIO?

Back