PPF

tim500

Reaction score
I have been watching some videos on PPF and was unaware of the advances in the last several years. I have a car that is 6 months old and a year. Are just about everyone getting PPF now a days on nicer cars then doing a coating? What is the cost to do the front end?

For a car that lives a small town life at low speeds, not necessary.

I drove 45K miles yearly at highway speed until retiring. Now I’m down to 17K miles a year heavy highway. For me it’s a must. I’ve seen firsthand my sandblasted hoods/bumpers at 100K miles and horrible when traded at 300k miles. My current trade in has 275k miles with minimal road rash using PPF. My new vehicle will get a full front coverage in Xpel for $2,000.

BTW, this is a minivan. My “nice” cars are covered too.

Like many things, the installation of PPF is more important than the PPF you choose.

I have been watching some videos on PPF and was unaware of the advances in the last several years. I have a car that is 6 months old and a year. Are just about everyone getting PPF now a days on nicer cars then doing a coating? What is the cost to do the front end?

I use Premium Shield Elite. Have used many, but their current line up is one of the best, most clear and durable I've used. Self healing, lifetime warranty, etc. Costs will vary depending on how much you're using thus what type of vehicle. I would budget minimum $800 to perhaps $1700. PPF is more important than a coating. You can coat it before however if you are planning on saving up. It won't hurt anything.

We charge about $3,000.00 for a full front end with Xpel. I believe that comes with a ceramic coating on top.

I'm not sure about other shops, but we recommend not going with film if there are a lot of deep rock impacts, or bug etching.

In Metro Detroit, a year and a half of daily driving around here we would probably recommend not going with the film, and maybe get a coating instead.

The bassist in my band just got a brand new BMW M3, and wants to get film. I looked at the front end at rehearsal Saturday, and it was full of bug guts. I told him to book it quick! I think he's bringing it in this week. I'll take care of everything else for him, but they'll have to install the film at my side gig. CarPro Skin is what I'm using on PPF right now. Works great too!

I have a '21 black car, and once it came in, I had the whole car prepped, STEK dynoshield, and ceramic coated (total cost was around $7k). I have Modesta coating over the ppf. Having it installed in just the impact areas is a great choice to prevent rock chips, which is what I plan on doing with my wife's ride. On an expensive ride, it was and currently is the best thing I ever did.

I had a PPF on the front clip of my GTI, I regret not spending the money on one for my GLI. I do a lot of highway and my bumper is FUBAR'd at 40k...lesson learned the hard way. I have no intention of ever getting rid of the GLI(due to fewer and fewer affordable cars appealing to me these days) so eventually I will need to get some items repainted and then PPF'd. Or, if I save up enough, I may just wrap the entire vehicle to be done with it. I suspect by that time the GLI will be getting much fewer miles added to it, since we are trying to have spawns of our own and the kid hauler(whatever it ends up being) will be driven more. Ideally the GLI will be wrapped one day and be my project car.

other than the cost any downside to PPF

other than the cost any downside to PPF

With time edges get dirt under them and become visible, especially noticeable on white cars. The edges can also lift and the fix is trim it back or replace the whole panel. And many years down the road, replacing the PPF will cost more as removing the old one can be a PITA if one waits too long. 10 years should be fine.

what should one look for in an installer? how do the installs go wrong?

Gotta wrap as many edges as possible to avoid the issues I mentioned. Clean location is a must, just like when installing tint. If the installer will score the film on the car he has to know what he’s doing or he’ll scratch your paint and then the protection you’re looking for will actually leave you with expensive damage behind. Look at cars done by your potential installers, don’t just take their best work pictures on instagram as their usual quality.

With time edges get dirt under them and become visible, especially noticeable on white cars. The edges can also lift and the fix is trim it back or replace the whole panel. And many years down the road, replacing the PPF will cost more as removing the old one can be a PITA if one waits too long. 10 years should be fine.

is PPF worth it in your opinion?

If I spend the money for a new car, the first stop before I start driving it regularly will be a front end PPF install. Second would be heat-rejecting ceramic tint but that isn’t as important as PPF.

If I spend the money for a new car, the first stop before I start driving it regularly will be a front end PPF install. Second would be heat-rejecting ceramic tint but that isn’t as important as PPF.

do you do the entire hood? I see there are options of full hood or just front bumper and part of the hood.

On the right car, absolutely. It’s very expensive and doesn’t last forever so spending thousands on a car that is worth $20K, for example, makes no sense in my opinion. But on an exotic it’s almost a must.

I don’t understand people that buy a $45K Tesla and spend $7K to wrap the whole car.

Do I wish I had wrapped my hood and front bumper when my car was new? Definitely.

do you do the entire hood? I see there are options of full hood or just front bumper and part of the hood.

Never do partial panels. The line will look atrocious after a while. The hood is easy to wrap as a whole and edges can all be folded back so it looks perfect.

None of our 7 cars have it. But I would like to have some of them done.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

what should one look for in an installer? how do the installs go wrong?

Find one that carries product with a lifetime warranty and addresses the re-install labor too. Find one that does custom cuts vs pre-cut or die-cut templates. Exposed edges are inferior thus wrapping edges is best.

I personally recommend the extra costs to do the entire hood. If costs are an issue, that's a reality and you do what you have to do. The line or edge won't be an issue unless it really bothers you. I do this a lot and even on my own personal cars have done both just to show people. However, again, I typically do entire hoods but will more often than not bikini cut fenders as the additional costs/benefit to do the entire fender usually isn't there.

Back